Novorapid and omnican needles

Emma46477

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I have been struggling with hypers this week. I find out that the omnican 4mm needles do not attach to the pen very well. Therefore, I have not been receiving my full dose of insulin. I am really cross because I have been unwell and uncontrolled without any reasonable explanation!!!! I feel that everyone who uses these should be informed of the possibility that you will not get your full dose of insulin. That in itself is NOT a good thing!!!!! Has anyone else experienced this??

Emma

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
been pumping since 2013 so not used needles but I have never heard of Omnicon, they must be quite new to the market......

you can change over to other ones I would imagine.................i used the BD ones back when injecting.....

do they needles appear visually loose on the pen.....?

Emma46477

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
been pumping since 2013 so not used needles but I have never heard of Omnicon, they must be quite new to the market......

you can change over to other ones I would imagine.................i used the BD ones back when injecting.....

do they needles appear visually loose on the pen.....?

The chemist has given me the BD micro something....which I have only used once for lunch today.. I just felt really angry that this important medication has failed due to a manufactoring problem!!! And it is us that suffers. Ive been quite poorly today and been sent home from work and due to my job being clinical I am now off sick for a few days to get myself controlled again..

I have only looked today and I can see some of the insulin around the needle part that attaches to the pen..so I know I have not been receiving the full dose. I have been using these needles for past year so why now??

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
it could be a dodgy box and if there is any doubt you should definitely get a fresh box.....

you should try dialing up a dose and squirting on to a table and then see if any struggles to get out....

there will always be some minor seepage, but it will be small.......

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The chemist has given me the BD micro something....which I have only used once for lunch today.. I just felt really angry that this important medication has failed due to a manufactoring problem!!! And it is us that suffers. Ive been quite poorly today and been sent home from work and due to my job being clinical I am now off sick for a few days to get myself controlled again..

I have only looked today and I can see some of the insulin around the needle part that attaches to the pen..so I know I have not been receiving the full dose. I have been using these needles for past year so why now??

As Novorapidboi has said it could be a faulty batch of needles, has your bg levels improved this afternoon since using the BD needles, if not then change your pen.

Emma46477

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it could be a dodgy box and if there is any doubt you should definitely get a fresh box.....

you should try dialing up a dose and squirting on to a table and then see if any struggles to get out....

there will always be some minor seepage, but it will be small.......

Hi

I have tried your idea and yes there is a little seepage, but I just find it strange how for over a year Ive not had a problem..but then thinking about it I have had the occasional hyper and not knowing why. I have tried a new box with these new needles. My BM this am was 11 so maybe it takes a few days for my BMs to stablise? But my diabetic nurse keeps telling me to reduce my insulin or I will put weight on..I really do not need to put weight on at all!! hehe Thank you for your advise

Emma46477

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As Novorapidboi has said it could be a faulty batch of needles, has your bg levels improved this afternoon since using the BD needles, if not then change your pen.

My bm this am was 11 and pre lunch 8..so sllight improvement...still feel rubbish though..Hate these hypers. Will it take a while before my Bms become normal or should it happen straight away. Im being very careful with my diet.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My bm this am was 11 and pre lunch 8..so sllight improvement...still feel rubbish though..Hate these hypers. Will it take a while before my Bms become normal or should it happen straight away. Im being very careful with my diet.

Give it another day or two, if matters don't improve then have a chat with your DSN or Dr.

dstvman

Omnican needles are a bit of a struggle to get on the NovoRapid. Even worse onto Lantus though! Make sure the needle is free and clear before injecting. If only a little come out after a 2 unit airshot then do another couple of units. Push the plunger quite hard to make sure a fast stream comes out he needle.

I was on BD needles but GP decided it would be worth saving the £2 odd they would save switching to the Braun Omnican. Personally I prefer the Omnican as they go in much easier. You never mentioned your basal dose so make sure you are getting correct doses and needles are clear.

Emma46477

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Omnican needles are a bit of a struggle to get on the NovoRapid. Even worse onto Lantus though! Make sure the needle is free and clear before injecting. If only a little come out after a 2 unit airshot then do another couple of units. Push the plunger quite hard to make sure a fast stream comes out he needle.

I was on BD needles but GP decided it would be worth saving the £2 odd they would save switching to the Braun Omnican. Personally I prefer the Omnican as they go in much easier. You never mentioned your basal dose so make sure you are getting correct doses and needles are clear.

The omnicans are a struggle to get on..but fine on Levenmir. I have changed to BD micro something and they seem much easier to get on. I have checked every needle after injecting and they are dry so I know I am getting full dosage now. I am waiting for DSN to get back to me. Just becareful with the Omnican....I have been on insulin for over a year and have been well controlled and nothing else has changed in my life. Other people have said there is a fault with the Omincan with the Novorapid.

I know the GP and health service are saving money..but it shouldn't be at the expense of peoples health.

dstvman

Guess what Emma46477? I just changed back to the BD Ultrafine and BG levels coming back down. My DSN mentioned a few people had levels going up and up, I suspect that they are just rubbish needles and I wasn't getting my correct dose for months!! After 24 hours on the BD, I was back to where i should have been so all that stress for nothing, even dropped my split basal rate. i have a great DSN so what i ask for i get:)

Emma46477

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guess what Emma46477? I just changed back to the BD Ultrafine and BG levels coming back down. My DSN mentioned a few people had levels going up and up, I suspect that they are just rubbish needles and I wasn't getting my correct dose for months!! After 24 hours on the BD, I was back to where i should have been so all that stress for nothing, even dropped my split basal rate. i have a great DSN so what i ask for i get:)

So glad you have a great DSN..mine is bloody rubbish!!!! Its been 3 weeks and I am still unstable..I am now eating a low carb diet with plenty of veg. My BMs last night were 7.5 then this am 11.4...I just don't understand.. I have asked B Braun to collect the needles and test them because I few people have had problems!!! Its not on...these products cannot mess around with our insulin doses...I am seing GP this afternoon see what he says...
Thanks

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. Went to collect my repeat prescription of usual freestyle test strips and lancets yesterday and was surprised to see an alteration to the test strips, lancets and insulin pen needles for my future prescriptions. When I queried this with the pharmacy clerk at the practice I was told I should have received a letter informing me of the enforced (my word) change. I have not received a letter. On reading the views and experience of my fellow "users" on here things do not bode well. I rang the pharmacy clerk to ask about continuing with BD needles and existing test strips and meter and was told I would need to make an appointment on 10 Sept with a representative from Omnican. When I asked if I could ask my doctor/DSN to keep my existing prescription she said the practice prefers you to speak with the representative first. I am pretty angered by this because as I don't think it is down to a complete stranger to make this decision on my behalf. Have any users since the above reviews got anything positive to say about Omnican products, particularly the performance of the needles? Thank you, have a good bank holiday weekend, love Carole. ;)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would be speaking with the gp surgery rather than a rep from the needle manufacturer, hope you get it sorted @coco44 and have a great weekend yourself.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If people keep returning the boxes of faulty needles to the chemist and getting another one, it won't take long for the savings for the NHS to disappear. Also, never reuse them. If they are weak or tend to block, that will massively increase the risk of under dosing. Only use each needle once, and return them if they are faulty.

Reactions: 4 people