Type 1 Novorapid in an overly cold fridge

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My fridge accidently got turned to high and I'm worried about my stored insulin.
Just switched novorapid pens and it seems after first use to have been less effective than usual. Just wondering from experience what temperature does damage please? If damaged does it still work but to a lesser degree or is it all now useless? Haven't tried the levemir yet?
Thanks for any help or advice.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How cold is "overly cold"? Do you have a thermometer in there to check?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The storage range is typically 2 deg to 8 deg C for insulin. The leaflets normally say to avoid freezing i.e. zero C.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How cold is "overly cold"? Do you have a thermometer in there to check?
Sadly no thermometer think I will invest in one. Imagine around freezing as some sliced cucumber was icy but not frozen solid.
I'm going to switch to another pen and see if it's any different.
Guess I'm wondering whether it loses potency gradually with temperature or just goes from ok to useless?

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi col101 do you keep your insulin in the door of fridge or at the back my fridge is just a couple of degrees more in door compartment that's with thermometer always put mine in door that's Novo rapid + lantus not sure whether it may have affected yours as other member said onlys says don't freeze so just be careful or just reorder some more definitely get a thermometer just in case the all best

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi col101 do you keep your insulin in the door of fridge or at the back my fridge is just a couple of degrees more in door compartment that's with thermometer always put mine in door that's Novo rapid + lantus not sure whether it may have affected yours as other member said onlys says don't freeze so just be careful or just reorder some more definitely get a thermometer just in case the all best
That's a really helpful thought thank you will use fridge door in future

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's a really helpful thought thank you will use fridge door in future

@col101 , purchase a fridge thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature in your fridge, I bought one from Maplin's around 2 years ago after someone on the forum mentioned it, they are inexpensive at around £5 and the replacement batteries are cheap too.

Regards to your insulin now, if you suspect the insulin is spoiled then just ask for a replacement supply.

Reactions: col101

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a digital and analogue thermometer in my fridge, I'm very anal about my insulin...

I second the door for storage. I've noticed my cucumbers icing up before when the fridge is approaching empty. It's because it's coldest at the bottom (normally where the veg is kept). Ironically, a cucumber is technically a fruit though:)

And I've had no issues with my insulin in the fridge. I thought I had at one point, but it was just a poorly calculated basal dose.

Good luck!

Reactions: col101

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Next pen seems fine, phew. Have bought a fridge thermometer and moved insulin to door. Thanks for the help and advice everyone.

Reactions: noblehead