novorapid or actrapid?

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
I've been on novorapid for years and years......recently heard from a gentleman who switched from novorapid as he felt it wasn't working for him anymore, to actrapid, and his insulin needs came right down. any thoughts?
he was on novorapid 1.5 for 10g as I am at the mo

also I'm on lantus at the mo but have been on levemir.....will react at injection site to both at one time or another.....I already split the dose, 22 in the morn and 14 at night.....anything else that may help improve this? animal long says it last 28 - 36 hours....would this be more beneficial?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I used to take Actrapid, but was taken off of it a few years ago. I now take NovoRapid and Levemir. Different Insulins can affect people differently.

Best wishes RRB

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Actrapid is a slower and longer acting insulin than Novorapid, I was on it before moving to Novorapid and it was OK but not fast enough to deal with the digestion of carbs in the diet, but if you eat a very low-carb diet Megan the profile of Actrapid might suit you better, but if don't then overall Novo is the better of the two IMHO.

As for your site reactions, ask to change to another basal, there was a new insulin that came out last year called Tresiba which might be worth a try, failing that one of the older insulins such as Insulatard might have less of a reaction.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can I ask what your BMI is? Your insulin levels indicate it may be a bit high and that level of injection can cause local site reaction. If not already low-carbing do move to reducing the carbs and the need for insulin may reduce? You may then find that the choice of insulins is less critical.