NovoRapid PumpCart availability in Thailand

philreeduk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Everyone,

I will be likely moving to Thailand for approximately three years. As a T1 who is on an insulin pump I am trying to find out if NovoRapid PumpCarts are available for purchase there? I have heard that pump adoption is low in South East Asia. If anyone has any experience (or in fact experience in buying health insurance for diabetes coverage in the region) It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @philreeduk I cannot help with Thailand but I can tell you that when I got stuck in India (Delhi) for a few weeks during the Icelandic Volcano shutting down Europes air traffic, I found it quite easy to obtain insulin from the hospital. I spoke to the British Embassy who had some IDD's working for them who gave me the advice (I was not on a pump at the time).

I would contact the hospital local to where your going to be living (as you'll need some level of support from them) and ask what they can obtain for you. Maybe they can order batches etc for your needs. If you have difficulties then approach the British Embassy in Thailand and ask them for advice.

Also ask the manufacturer if they export to Thailand and if so to who.

Enjoy your three years in the sun :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Alternatively, you can buy Ypsopump refillable pumpcarts in boxes of twelve which work in the Insight - I use them with Humalog.

Teerapan_U

Hello from Thailand,
I’m also T1. (currently on MDI, planning to change to insulin pump next month)
Novorapid cart is available in Thailand. No worry. National insurance is covered for Noborapid too. You only need to pay for the infusion sets yourself.