1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Now type 2 after 11 years type 1- metformin question

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by lcarter, Jun 13, 2019.

1. lcarter

lcarter Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Hi all.

Well after having it confirmed for a second time that im a type 2 diabetic, I have now been put onto metformin. I have to start on 1 tablet a day building it up over 2 months until I am on 4 tablets a day.

My insulin has been changed from novarapid to fiasp and from levemier to troujo I think it's called. Currently still waiting for the troujo as my pharmacist hasn't been able to order it in. (But that's another story)

I started metformin last night. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of taking this alongside insulin and if so how long before they noticed a difference? I'm wanting to do low carb but I'm worried about lowering the carbs incase metformin suddenly kicks in, if that makes sense.

Thankyou in advance x

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Lcarter, metformin isn't a drug that lowers blood glucose dramtically for most who take it. For most, at the highet level, it just makes everything work a bit better. It improves insulin sensitivity a bit (or if you prefer decreases natural insulin resistance a bit).

For those taking it near the start of their T2 journey, they are often concerned that it doesn't lower their blood glucose scores enough, but the tough reality is that for most T2s dietary interventions are usually required to minimise meds. As you are already taking insulin, your order of play, so to speak, could differ.

All I would say from observation, as I have never taken metformin or insulin, would be to ensure you are testing very regularly so that you can begin to build up ap picture of what Metformin might, or might nit be doing for you.

Finally, Metformin works on a therapeutic dose basis, so for most people it takes a little while (individually variable) to do it's job. It is usually started at a lower dose and stepped up periodically as starting on too high a dose increases the chances of tummy issues.

I'm sure others will want to comment when they get online.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

From posts on this forum, Metformin can cause stomach/bowel upset's, so some member's often go onto SR Metforim, slow release.
    Take care of yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PeterHud

PeterHud Type 2 · Active Member

I am on insulin and just started on SR Metformin on Monday ... I was a T1 but now they say I am a T2.

I haven't noticed any side effects and my readings are what they were before taking them although DN has lowered my insulin ... Taking just the 1 tablet.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tizzy

tizzy · Well-Known Member

Hi can I ask in general as there seems to be a few of us changed to type 2 ,how it came about ,I was having a blood test to go on the libre just wondering or am I being paranoid Tizzy

6. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Yes, I was wondering the same. I have the opposite problem.

7. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

As others have said, Metformin only ever has small effect and when taken with insulin only changes the blood sugar by perhaps 1mmol with a certain insulin amount. Don't worry about the Metformin 'kicking in' as it's effect is small in comparison with the insulin. BTW note that Fiasp works much faster than NovoRapid so don't inject before a meal and then have long delay before eating.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JAT1

JAT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I would also like to know how your diagnosis changed from Type 1 to Type 2. Did they discover from a test that you were making enough insulin on your own afterall? Did the activity of your pancreas change from your earlier diagnosis of Type 1?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Jat, if you go to @lcarter 's profile, then in Postings, at the bottom, click on Find all Threads by lcarter, you're find threads relating to this journey through re-diagnosis.

Sorry lcarter, not trying to speak fr you, but provide a solution that doen't involve you writing reams, unless you want to, of course.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JAT1

JAT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you very much !

• Like Like x 1
  11. lcarter

Wow, same thing is happening to me. Theyve put me on the 1 tablet to increase it every 2 weeks by another until I am on 4 a day.

12. lcarter

I questioned why I never have ketones no matter how high I am. They did a c peptide blood test, then a urine analysis and said my insulin production was very high. They now think I'm type 2 with insulin resistance.

13. lcarter

Thank you so much, I was wondering what I could do to explain rather than go through it all again. Thanks so much.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook