1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Numb face

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Grant1969, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Grant1969

Grant1969 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, I'm almost freaking out here and I'm desperate for some help, long story short I got let out hospital just over a week ago and have been prescribed 3different types of antibiotics. Since yesterday the left side of my mouth has become numb resulting in me dribbling when I drink and finding it hard to talk, I asked my wife if I looked ok and she noticed it immediately. This morning I awoke and it's like it's spreading up making my left eyebrow harder to control, if that makes sense, and all I can think about is neuropathy but I know nothing about it and I do get paranoid and anxious, you know - it's a tumour not a headache, and don't want to look like a fool. I've also had compacted wax in my left ear for about 3 weeks now, flushed out by a nurse twice, and have been using otex ear drops but the wax remains and the pain is intense and I don't know if there's a connection with it just being wax and not an infection. One of the antibiotics came with a warning about neuropathy and another one requires my liver function monitored. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. boxing

boxing Type 2 · Active Member

I hope it's not palsy paulsy

3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry to hear of your new symptoms but remember not everything we get can be attributed to our diabetes. I suggest you get seen urgently, out of hours GP or A/E as it’s the weekend.
    If it does turn out it’s Bell’s Palsy, on a quick Google it’s best to be seen within 72 hours of onset to have the best chance of a complete resolution of the symptoms.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Seek medical advice immediately. It’s likely to be something self limiting but we just don’t know. Call. Now.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Grant, you must get medical advice, it could be anything. My advice would be to call a Dr right now. Great if it turns out to be nothing much but symptoms like that need immediate expert opinion. x

Edited to add; just seen other replies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Hi there. I would advise you to do one of two things, if it's not too late in the day I would go to your practice and request an appointment (there and then) to see a GP. If your surgery is closing soon then I would ring the NHS Advice Line on 111 for guidance. Remember that theses are services that are there for the benefit of patients, you will not be thought of as wasting anyone's time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Grant1969

Thank you, I'm going to act on it immediately.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Rachox

Staff Member

Let us know how you get on. Best of luck x

9. wiflib

Good. If you feel up to it later, let us know how you get on.

10. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Yes, let us know how you go on, and best of luck.

11. Grant1969

Hello everyone, thanks for the prompting to do something rather than sitting worrying, I'm just back from the hospital and apparently it's bells paulsy...I need to do some reading cause I've no knowledge of it. I got prescribed steroids and even got a roll of tape to keep my eye closed through the night.
    A big thank you to everyone, your good people.

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. wiflib

I’m pleased you got it sorted and it wasn’t anything more serious. If you take the steroids, be aware that your numbers will be raised for a while.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rachox

Staff Member

I’m glad you got advice, a diagnosis and treatment. I hope your recovery is swift x

• Like Like x 1
  14. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Get well soon.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Grant1969

Upon reflection, once again I bless the nhs, too many times I have had my life saved or eased and to hear some people in waiting rooms bad mouthing the Drs and nurses really "boils my blood" when personally I would be long gone. It's like this website and the good people on it, I feel lucky to have y'all in my life, thank you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Rachox

Staff Member

As a retired nurse (36 years in the NHS) and a member and mod here, that’s so good to hear. You are right, too many people moan and groan about the NHS, however I believe they are all trying their best in very difficult times. Thank you for your comment.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I could not agree more. I would have lost my life at the age of 26 but for the NHS, and again in my mid 30's, and again in my mid 60's. Other than the dietary information, which is world wide and not confined to the NHS, there is none better. Brilliant service.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

There was a member (Johnboy?) who was hit by that palsy but recovered quickly

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook