Number of times testing

MDHalstead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Just a quick question about testing. I am type 2 and very active (just completed a half Ironman )

How often do you test when you are active as my bloods can be up and down with the exercise I do.

I am on metformin. But my dose is being lowered because of exercise.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
There are 2 reasons for testing:
1. A 'fasting' test (before Breakfast) in order to track medium to longer term progress between your annual Hba1c tests.
2. Testing to see how various food items affect your Blood Glucose, 2hrs after 1st bite is usual though some test over a longer timeframe e.g. 1hr, 90min , 2hr, 3hr.

You should not be a slave to the testing - since you aren't on Insulin, the testing is merely a tool for you to see if you either A). Are heading in the right direction Or B). Have your Diabetes under control.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You should not be a slave to the testing -
I totally agree. I only test once or twice a week ,by now I know exactly what my BG is
I guess before testing I am within 4 or 5 points.( US )

Last edited:

MDHalstead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are 2 reasons for testing:
1. A 'fasting' test (before Breakfast) in order to track medium to longer term progress between your annual Hba1c tests.
2. Testing to see how various food items affect your Blood Glucose, 2hrs after 1st bite is usual though some test over a longer timeframe e.g. 1hr, 90min , 2hr, 3hr.

You should not be a slave to the testing - since you aren't on Insulin, the testing is merely a tool for you to see if you either A). Are heading in the right direction Or B). Have your Diabetes under control.

Thank you.

I was confused by the amount of testing folks do