Numbers going back up

DebbyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there, i was diagnosed in 2013 with type 2 diabetes, i have managed well just with diet and exercise, bring it down to 5.4, now it is rising again and currently i am at 7.2. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety 6 months ago and have been on medication but my diet has deteriorated, and i have gained some weight, and believe thats the answer for the rise in my blood glucose levels. Also i have never had a problem with cholesterol before, always been 4 - 4.2, but now it has shot up to 5.9 and i have 6 months to sort it all out with diet and exercise or i will be going on medication, which i really don't want. So any advice would be great, I am trying to watch my carbs and sugar, eating more vegetables and meat, I don't drink only tea, fruit tea or water. I do have a problem with craving mostly cake, chocolate and biscuits. Any advice you can give me i would really appreciate. Thanks in advance.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DebbyC
If you could give us an idea of what you are eating during the day we can offer some advice.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As you probably realise, keeping the carbs down is key to this. The occasionla bit of cake is OK but most of what is in the shops is carby rubbish. Better to bake you own with no added sugar, no icing and rely on added fruit for sweetness. 85% Dark chocolate is fine but biscuits are a no-no.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DebbyC and welcome
Do you test your blood sugars? If not I would suggest buying one and testing. Many here use the SDcodefree as the strips are mush cheaper. If you want details someone will post them.
I found testing before and 2 hours afterwards really helpful with sorting out my diet. Lots here follow a low carb diet so do look at that section of the forum.