1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Numbness in arms & legs?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Annabel_Eve, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Annabel_Eve

Annabel_Eve Type 1 · Member

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone else experienced this...

woke up this morning & couldn't feel or move my right arm & leg!!! Complete loss of sensation. Tested my blood & it was 3.9, so not as low as it usually is on a hypo. Had some glucose tabs, waited & then my leg came back to life, my arm however took a little longer. Within about 30mins I was back to normal again & have had no problems since.

I have never had anything like this before, just the odd numb arm if I sleep on it!

Thanks o_O

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Lally123

Lally123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Needs checking out by a doctor. Raises the possibility of a transient ischemic attack (TIA). probably not but you.definitely need some advice on that.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Jo123

Jo123 · Well-Known Member

Hi Annabel, I would see a doctor about that sooner than later, I would worry that it was a TIA, but I'm not a doctor!
    After the event if they suspect it was they will treat all your stroke risk factors aggressively.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Annabel_Eve

Thank you, I will definitely get checked out by my doctor

5. Annabel_Eve

Thanks Jo. You can tend to just brush things off, but after both replies I will definitely be seeing my doctor.

6. Jo123

Good luck annabel, hopefully it will be nothing.

7. Annabel_Eve

Hi Jo,
    Unfortunately, turns out you were right, I was diagnosed yesterday as having had 2 TIA's. They have put me on medication for the rest of my life, but that's nothing new having been having injections for the most part of my life anyway. I'm so grateful that you & Lally123 both put your suggestions forward. Thank you
    :)

• Hug Hug x 1
  8. Annabel_Eve

Hi Lally123,
    Unfortunately, turns out you were right, I was diagnosed yesterday as having had 2 TIA's. They have put me on medication for the rest of my life, but that's nothing new having been having injections for the most part of my life anyway. I'm so grateful that you & Jo123 both put your suggestions forward. Thank you
    :)

• Hug Hug x 1
  9. Jo123

Oh gosh annabel, I'm really sorry to hear this. Did the doctor give you any other advice regarding lifestyle.
    At least you've got medication now to hopefully prevent any further attacks.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook