Numbness in hand (was pain in big toe

collectingrocks

Hi everyone

A couple of times last week, I experienced a pain at the front of my big toe - like I had stubbed it (which I haven't!). And certainly not an ingrown toe nail either. There was no swelling, no redness etc which led me to suspect nerve pain. This is rather worrying considering my last HbA1c was in good order and I follow a strict low-carb diet.

Should I really be worried about early neuropathy...?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
We need to take more care with our feet so I would certainly go see your doc. Good luck !

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Do you suffer with cold feet? I had a similar thing, the toes eventually go red and maybe a little swollen and they get itchy, when that hapoens I know ive got another chilblaine. Best to try and keep your feet at an even temp, going from hot to cold or cold to hot isnt good.

collectingrocks

I do not suffer with cold feet and there was no swelling or redness. I don't know what chilblains feels like but the pain I got was just like one gets after stubbing one's toe against something hard. I hadn't had a heavy carb or sugary meal either. Still a mystery...

B

badcat

I get all manner of strange sensations in my feet which I put down to nerve pain - the most annoying is when it feels just like I've got a drawing pin or something similar sticking into it - never have, but you still have to check just in case which is a pain in the proverbial. Still it's an improvement - not long after I was first diagnosed I walked around with a nail sticking thru the sole of my shoe and into my foot but felt nothing, I also have regained being ticklish on my feet which I'd lost when I was first diagnosed

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
I don't think you will need to worry if there was no visible trauma or neuropathy. If it comes back you may wish to consider whether it might be gout. Got it myself one time - very painful, immobile for a week - but it will pass by itself.

annelise

collectingrocks

Thanks guys. Perhaps for me, the sensation of gout is an indication of high BS...suppose only I will be able to tell as time goes by. I do remember having some cake the day before...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As Mo says earlier you should get the toe looked at by your gp or podiatrist, don't leave it too long to get checked out.

Reactions: 4 people

collectingrocks

noblehead, following my experience with GP's, he will take one look at my toe, find nothing wrong and send me home. If it looks normal, there is nothing wrong (common comment from GPs).

It does look normal, no swelling, redness or obvious abnormality. I've looked at my feet for a few decades so should be in a good position to know lol...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
noblehead, following my experience with GP's, he will take one look at my toe, find nothing wrong and send me home. If it looks normal, there is nothing wrong (common comment from GPs).

It does look normal, no swelling, redness or obvious abnormality. I've looked at my feet for a few decades so should be in a good position to know lol...

Your quite entitled to be seen by a Podiatrist if you have problems with your feet, given what you have said about your gp this may be the best route to follow if things continue as they are.

collectingrocks

Beginning to sound like a hyperchondriac now...

So first its pain in big toe, now over the last 2 weeks, I've had numbness in my little finger and down the side of my right hand. It's been on and off and came to a head today. It feels like I've been sleeping on it. Worried I might have beginnings of neuropathy, went to walk-in centre who decided I should have an ECG - this was clear, and my blood pressure was fine. Was told it was compression of ulnar (or radial) nerve and it was suggested I seek somewhere for nerve conduction test. And true to form...I was given a prescription for a NSAID.

The side of my hand and little finger still feels numb. So what now for me?

desidiabulum

Beginning to sound like a hyperchondriac now...

So first its pain in big toe, now over the last 2 weeks, I've had numbness in my little finger and down the side of my right hand. It's been on and off and came to a head today. It feels like I've been sleeping on it. Worried I might have beginnings of neuropathy, went to walk-in centre who decided I should have an ECG - this was clear, and my blood pressure was fine. Was told it was compression of ulnar (or radial) nerve and it was suggested I seek somewhere for nerve conduction test. And true to form...I was given a prescription for a NSAID.

The side of my hand and little finger still feels numb. So what now for me?

Did you have an NCV test? What were the results? So may things can cause temporary or permanent numbness, without there necessarily being a direct link to diabetes. I have one largish permanently numb area which seem to be the legacy of years of B12 deficiency, but prolonged numbness in my hand was mostly cleared up by physiotherapist with advice on posture

Last edited by a moderator:

collectingrocks

Did you have an NCV test?

Is this a nerve conduction test? No, I have to go to my GP to request it. I have spoken to a few people who say they've had similar problems and was due to either trapped nerve or, yes Vitamin B12 deficiency.

I don't think neuropathy itself is visible, guess the numbness (and tingles?) are the body's early warning signs. I should hope not with a HbA1c of 39! Perhaps my last test was not reliable? I'm beginning to think I don't know any more....