Nursery tea...

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
...Well, adult, keto variant thereof.

I am very nearly 57 years old and a pretty competent cook, but I cannot and never have been able to soft-boil an egg. Just all aboard the heck-no train to nopesville as far as egg-boiling goes.

Which is a shame because I do love me a nice boiled egg.

My friend recently gave my one of those cheapie egg steamers and my life is transformed. 6 minutes from cold for a couple of XL eggs to be cooked to soft perfection with no effort from me at all. I have just had a couple of dippy eggs with fried streaky bacon ‘soldiers’ for dunking. Delicious!

I did have to buy some egg cups though!:cat:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...Well, adult, keto variant thereof.

I am very nearly 57 years old and a pretty competent cook, but I cannot and never have been able to soft-boil an egg. Just all aboard the heck-no train to nopesville as far as egg-boiling goes.

Which is a shame because I do love me a nice boiled egg.

My friend recently gave my one of those cheapie egg steamers and my life is transformed. 6 minutes from cold for a couple of XL eggs to be cooked to soft perfection with no effort from me at all. I have just had a couple of dippy eggs with fried streaky bacon ‘soldiers’ for dunking. Delicious!

I did have to buy some egg cups though!:cat:

I'm assuming you mean something like this Teddy? https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETTA-Elec...rds=Electric+Egg+Cooker&qid=1605379415&sr=8-8

I've had one of those for I won't mention how many years. It's brilliant, and the eggs are totally predictable.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Haha I love soft boiled eggs too! A friend gave me a supposedly failsafe recipe for boiling multiple eggs, but I've had to modify it twice. Once for electric unit (she used gas), and again for this hateful smooth-top stove we have now, which cooks the eggs halfway or more as it's heating them up. I have never had such a slow stove in my life!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a method recommended by Heston Blumenthal which, unusually, is very simple. Cover the eggs in cold water in a small pan, bring rapidly to the boil, immediately take the pan off the heat, remove eggs after 4 mins.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, very much like that. I don’t faff about adjusting the amount of water to dictate the timing, I just add more than it suggests for a soft-boiled egg and use a separate kitchen timer.

Honestly, they work, with the water to the various levels on the measuring vessel.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
I use a method recommended by Heston Blumenthal which, unusually, is very simple. Cover the eggs in cold water in a small pan, bring rapidly to the boil, immediately take the pan off the heat, remove eggs after 4 mins.

My friend's is similar-- eggs in pot, bring to boil, boil 1 min, remove from heat and let sit for 6 minutes, plunge into ice water. It was foolproof for her but had to be adjusted for my stoves. I currently let them boil for 45 seconds, sit off heat for 3 minutes, then the ice water. A whole lot depends on temperature of water (huge variation here from winter teeth-achingly cold to summer tepid) and size/age of eggs.

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to try that for lunch today! Love a soft-boiled egg. Wonder if my slightly higher altitude (899m) will change the outcome, but will give it a whirl!