NUTS-half cracked it-need advice

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All

I have been snacking on nuts as suggested in the forum. However, on reading other posts (I think it was grazer) he recommended any nuts except salted and cashews.

Well I have been taking roasted, salted peanuts by the handful, frequently :!:

Just back from Asda where I checked all the labels and that's when I realised :idea: yes, the peanuts have much lower carbs than a bar of chocolate but, are still much higher than other nuts. So that's probably where I have been going wrong all along.

Now this is where I am looking for advice. The brazil nuts, hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts etc are all quite expensive and, I believe, some of them are quite bland. It's that time of year where I can't afford to waste money so I put them back on the shelf and decided to do without but I know that won't last.

Can anyone recommend which are the tastier nuts and best buys?

( I might not need them if I start the Newcastle diet but that's another thread :lol: )

Thanks

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brazils are not tasteless and macadamias are the low-carbers friend. Watch it though, some of us can't eat them anymore due to over-indulgence :sick:

wiflib

Grazer

Hi Choco! I mentioned cashews because they're not actually nuts, but I never mentioned salted nuts - I eat loads of them. Sainsbury's mixed salted nuts are quite good, although they do have some cashews.
Walnuts are supposed to be particularly good for you - just swines to get in to!

Grazer

By the way Choco, we all know too much salt is supposed to be bad for us, but personally I think you have to focus on the key issues sometimes, which for you may be carb content at the moment. So I don't fuss too much about a little bit of salt in nuts. You'll have to make your own mind up on that one!

slimtony

Hi,

If you buy your nuts fom a supermarket, then you'll end up with nuts that taste like they came from a supermarket (i.e. quite bland :cry: ).

I'd recommend that you find a decent independent wholefood store in your area. The freshness and quality will be far higher than most supermarkets can provide. You might end up paying a little more, but what you get will be worth buying.

Pecans, macadamias, walnuts, pine nuts and pumpkin seeds are what my money goes on. Relatively speaking, peanuts are nutritionally poor. Not really worth the chewing or the indigestion, in my slightly humble opinion. :angel:

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry Grazer. Maybe I am mixed up a bit. Did you or someone else say you shouldn't eat peanuts?
Do you think it's OK to stick to salted peanuts? I was a bit surprised tonight when I realised that peanuts have much more carbs than the other nuts. My BG levels aren't too bad (7.4 tonight 2hrs after dinner which was pasta :eek: ) but I am finding it difficult to lose the weight.

slimtony said:
Not really worth the chewing or the indigestion, in my slightly humble opinion.

Maybe, but there is pleasure in eating them-admittedly not as much pleasure as chocolate :lol:

Grazer

No, I only commented on cashews. relatively speaking they're all quite low GI. Peanuts never seem to bother my BG. As I mentioned, I have a mix rather than too many peanuts, and avoid the cashews. I like fresh walnuts in their shells, so I crack some of them and mix them in with the assorted salted (say that twice quickly!) ones. If you really like the peanuts, I wouldn't be overly concerned personally. It's not like it's eating smarties! (oh, the memories!) just better if you can mix them up a bit with others. Sainsbury's mixed salted roasted nuts are my choice with the fresh walnuts. LOVE pistachios in their shells as well. For info, the mixed nuts and the peanuts are both 10 grams carbs per 100, pistachios 12. Nothing disastrous in reasonable quantities, better if spread out with lower carb nuts.

Grazer

Meant to say, reason why cashews are the only ones I really avoid, is that as well as the highest carbs per 100 grams, it also has the lowest dietary fibre so NET carbs are doubly bad. GI is highest of them all as well I think

bedshaped2000

Has anyone done a three hr test af.ter peanuts youll get a shock i now only use them for exercise for slow release. bcause of the high fat they wontt effect bgs till far later
than a one hout test

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya all!

I always recommend avoiding cashews and peanuts. They are both highish carb compared to other nuts. Maybe as Type 2's you can get away with them, but as an insulin using LADA type, I really need to jab for peanuts at surprisingly small amounts. If they work for you keep eating them!

Smidge

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Grazer said:
By the way Choco, we all know too much salt is supposed to be bad for us, but personally I think you have to focus on the key issues sometimes, which for you may be carb content at the moment.

Another key issue to bear in mind is that increased salt in a diet can increase the risk of strokes cardiovascular disease and as diabetics we have a higher than normal risk of both cardiovascular disease and strokes due to the effects diabetes has on our vascular systems therefore it may be prudent not to eat too many salted nuts or add salt to food generally. At least be aware of the risks.

http://www.bmj.com/content/339/bmj.b4567.full

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Often overlooked but just as nutritious and cotain healthy fats is seeds, pumpkin seeds are really delicious but remember to consider portion control if you are watching your weight.

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
i asked my dietian about nuts she advised about 1oz a day but not to eat them in the evening as some have more fat than others i have a mixture of brazils almonds and brazil nuts love them.

jahusba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having to cut carbs
Lidl do some lovely Californian Walnuts, ready shelled. I don't usually like Walnuts but these are without the usual bitter after taste

Jane :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
noblehead said:
Often overlooked but just as nutritious and cotain healthy fats is seeds, pumpkin seeds are really delicious but remember to consider portion control if you are watching your weight.

Noblehead has it, particularly about portion control. I love nuts, but except in the smallest amount (ie, not worth eating) they stop me losing weight. So I don't buy 'em - or only very seldom. Same with seeds.

Other people may be more fortunate! :lol:

Viv 8)

mrawfell

Don't forget nuts are low in carbs but high in oil ( fats ), caution if you are trying to control your weight. However they are unsaturated, and often polyunsaturated