NuZest Good Green Stuff On Test

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
One of this community introduced my to Good Green Stuff by NuZest a few days ago, www.nuzest.co.uk so I reviewed the site and was sufficiently interested to purchase a sample, good old guinea pig that I am.

This morning, said sample was consumed and as I did quite a bit of research last night, I thought the community might be interested in my thoughts....yes I know it's a forlorn hope...my kids and wife aren't interested so why should you be.

Well here goes...by the way for the cynical amongst you (never) I am not an affiliate or in any way shape or form associated with NuZest:)

So Good Green Stuff is a powder supplement. You take 10g with 300ml of water. It is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, GMO free and suitable for vegans, although I am as far away from being a vegan as you can imagine.

It contains:
21 real plant food
21 Plant extracts
16 essential vitamins
11 essential minerals
Fibres and microbiotics
Enyzmes
Bioflavonoids

The product summary benefits are:

Quick and easy, all in one solution - took me about 20 seconds to prepare this morning and was a smooth mix with the water.

Easy to digest and absorb - no fillers or preservatives as in the tab multi vits

Free from as I noted above

Sharpens the mind and helps with stress - more on that in a mo

Supports digestive health and immunity - more on that as well in a mo

Its alkaline and tastes great - "Great" where did they get their copywriter from - its certainly inocuous and to my palate slightly vanilla, so easy to drink, but Great.....come on NuZest:)

This drink supplement certainly seems to have more than any of my multi vits and more than just greens with 75+ ingredients; Greens, fruits (don't worry the fructose is infinitesimal) infact the entire product is extremely low carb, which I why I thought I'd test it out. Vegetables and berries, strengthened with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, probiotics and digestive enzymes.

So.....it mixes fine to a powerderless smooth drink, not much denser than the water you add and tastes perfectly paletable.

So what exactly is in it and what does each of the ingredients do and are they material towards a RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) and that's where I spent 2 hours analysing last night.....I know, I'm a total sado:)

Here goes:

PLANT FOODS:
Organic spirulina: lake algae, contains amino acides, RDA suggests 3 g per day, this is 1g, so 33%

European Pea protein isolate: amino acids, protein and BCAA (branch chain amino acides) no RDA. 904mg

Lecithin: fibre and helps with weight loss. No RDA. 750mg

Apple Pectin: Fibre and weight loss. No RDA. 550mg

Red Marine Algae: amino acids. No RDA. 485mg

Flaxseed: Omega 3 and vits. No RDA. 400mg

Organic Wheatgrass leaf: Vit and minerals. No RDA. 340mg

Organic Chlorella: Iron and Vit B12. No RDA. 340mg

Organic Barley Leaf: Probiotic, Fibre, Mg. No RDA. 300 mg

Acerola Fruit: Vits C, A, Niacin. No RDA. 270mg

Papaya: Vits C, Pot, Mg. No RDA. 250mg

Pineapple juice: No RDA. 250mg

Broccoli Sprout: Blood pressure, Blood Glucose. No RDA. 250mg

Beetroot: Blood pressure. No RDA. 170mg

Carrot:Vit A and fibre. No RDA. 90mg

Ginger Root: Immune system and anti ox. No RDA. 75mg

Licorice Root: Liver optimisation. No RDA. 70mg

Spinach: Vits, C, E, K, A. No RDA. 70mg

Whole Kelp:Vits, C, Copper, Mg. No RDA. 60mg

Shitake Mushroom: Vit B and Potassium. No RDA. 30mg

Slippery Elm Bark: Healing properties. No RDA. 25mg

PLANT EXTRACTS:
Citrus bioflavonoids: helps absorb Vit C. No RDA. 500mg

Globe Artichoke leaf: Lowers cholesterol, anti oxidant. No RDA. 500mg

Bilberry: good for eyes and anti oxidant. No RDA. 200mg

Blackcurrant: Vit C. No RDA. 200mg

Rosehip: Vit C. No RDA. 175mg

Grape Seed: Anit ox. No RDA. 100mg

Panax ginseng: helps with endurance and stress. No RDA. 100mg

Milk Thistle Seed: lowers cholesterol acts on the liver. No RDA. 80mg

Gotu kola: Healing properties, good against colds. No RDA. 75mg

Green Tea: Helps all round with Metabolic Syndrome (high sugar, BP, Trigs, LDL). No RDA. 75mg

Rosemary Leaf: Anti ox. No RDA. 75mg

Ashwaghanda Roots: Helps with stress. No RDA. 75mg

Astragalus Root: Colds, Diabetes, BP. No RDA. 75mg

Tumeric Root: anti ox, anti inflam. No RDA. 70mg

Cocoa polyphenols: Protection against CVD and artherolsclerosis. No RDA. 70mg

Rhodiola Rosea Root: Energy and stress fighting. No RDA. 50mg

Goji Berry: Vits, Iron, C, A, Calcium. No RDA. 40mg

Dandelion: Calcium, Iron, Anti ox. No RDA. 40mg

Hawthorn Berry: CVD, Antiox. No RDA. 35mg

Burdock Root: Prebiotic, cholesterol lowering, antiox. No RDA. 25 mg

Resveratrol: Blood pressure, diabetes, antiox. No RDA. 15mg.

BIOAVAILABLE VITAMINS:
A: Antiox and liver. 600ugre. 75%RDA

D3: Calcium absorption etc. 10ug. 200% RDA

E: Antiox, Free radicals. 15mg. 125% RDA

K2: CVD. 70ug. 93% RDA

C: Connective tissue building. 360mg. 450% RDA

B1: Cells, metabolism, Growth. 600ugre. 75% RDA

B2: Metabolism of protein. Nervous system. 10ug. 200% RDA

B3: Energy conversion. 15mg. 125% RDA

Pantothenate B5: skin, hair, eyes, liver. 70ug. 93% RDA

B6: Metabolism. 360mg. 450% RDA

Folate: Metabolism of amino acids. 360mg. 450% RDA

B12: CVD, anti inflam. 100ug. 4000% RDA...yes that number is correct. Most literature indicates the western diet is very very low on B12

Biotin: Metabolism, growth and general health. 330 mcg. 660%RDA

BIOAVAILABLE MINERALS:
Potassium. Cardiac tissue. 300mg. 15% RDA

Calcium. Bones, heart. 165mg. 21% RDA

Magnesium: Energy and protein synthesis. 100mg. 27% RDA

Zinc: Colds. 12mg. 120% RDA

Copper: Blood cells, nuro, immunity, bones. 250ug. 25% RDA

Manganese: Anitox, mitochondria. 1.5mg. 75% RDA

Silica: bones, teeth, skins, eyes. 14.5mg. No RDA

Selenium: Antiox. Metabolism. 35ug. 64% RDA

Chromium:Blood glucose levels. 35ug. 88%RDA

Iodine: Thuroid regulation of metabolism. 150ug. 100% RDA

OTHER:
Lactobacillus acidophilus: Gut health. 3 billion cfu. No RDA

Bifidbacterium bifidum. 3 billion cfu. Not RDA

R-/S-alpha lipoic acid. Liver, cancer fighting, anitox. 75mg. No RDA

Bromelian: Antiinflam.65mg. NO RDA

Beta 1,3/1,6 glucans: 8mg. No RDA.

Ubiquinone (C0Q10). Antiox, free rads. 8mg. No RDA

Ubiquinol: 8mg. No RDA

So as far as I am concerned as a LCHF dieter with all the recommendations to supplement in view of lower values in so much of our food, I am replacing all my supplements with this one simply drink, once a day.

There you have it. By all means, arrive at your own conclusions, always.

All the best. Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Glad you like it Kev but it will be a long time before I'm on supplements if I have the choice. Food all the way as long all the way is possible. I have bowed down to a Nutri bullet thingymebob and for the first time in my life I get my five a day!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
JTL, my daughter has one of those and I do wonder if I should invest. Yvonne believes I'm a marketers dream :)

Reactions: 3 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would suggest checking the ingredients carefully just as a for instance. I have high serum calcium and I obviously could not take the calcium or vit d in this supplement,best to check with your GP to see if anything could be harmful.to.you.

CAROL

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How nice to find something whey AND soya free!
I think that the ginseng is the only thing i would be wary of (dont do well with stimulants), but the rest would do well for me, i think.

Having said that, despite having a depressingly long line of supplements on my shelf, all of which i am confident are helping me, i do prefer real food where possible.

I an still curious though. Thank you for being our guineapig! :)

@carty have you come across any info on how vit k2 can be useful for dealing with excess serum calcium?
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/16/vitamin-k2.aspx
Ever since i started rectifying my vit d deficiency i have been somewhat paranoid about balancing nutrients (incl D, calcium, mag and K2). Sadly it is a level of nutritional sophistication far beyond the average HCP. :(

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Boy I've felt so energetic today. Didn't have brekki other than Good Green Stuff to see how i'd react. Crab salad for lunch. Massive bbq coming up at 5pm, bottle of gas primed, wine in the fridge (those are not for me:)). Feeling very energetic, but knowing me, it's the placebo effect. We shall see as the days go by.

Reactions: 2 people

NurseDee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic post @KevinPotts! Its great for me as being out in the community nursing i am in the car most of the day so dont manage 3 square meals. I get all the essentials with the Nuzest. Loving it

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So as far as I am concerned as a LCHF dieter with all the recommendations to supplement in view of lower values in so much of our food, I am replacing all my supplements with this one simply drink, once a day.

There you have it. By all means, arrive at your own conclusions, always.

All the best. Kevin
As I stated in the other thread we were in.

<<I really had to dig deep to find the ingredients. Now Green Suff is marketed as low carb, no sugar, but it is actually 28.3% carb, and 10.4% sugars. It has 24.2% protein and 360 mg sodium per 100g. Sounds more like Pea and Ham Cuppa Soup to me.>>

I note you omitted to mention this, even though it was part of their website data. Obviously if you only have a 10g shot, then it appears to be low carb etc, but compared to other foodstuffs, then it is still high carb, high protein, high sodium.

It is also easy to overdose unless you are meticulous about weighing, This is especially important for Vit B6, Vit B12, Selenium, iodine, D3, K2, where overdose can be serious.

I am also twitchy about the 'added bits' with regard to quality control. The ingredient quantities you use are from an assay test on probably one sample. With this many ingredients being added, then there will be variability due to production processes , so where you quote RDA % then this may not be maintained in production. Also availabilty of each additive component will vary over the seasons, so again, it will be batch dependant.

The more they cram into the product, the less likely they will be able to control.

Lastly, many of the ingredients listed are herbal remedies that are anecdotally believed to be beneficial, but are folk law not mainstream. Some of them I have never heard of, so are again 'juju'. Are you sure that you need these bits and bobs. Personally I would still prefer to take those supplements that have a good track record and are relatively well controlled in terms of dosage. I note that some have already responded that they cannot take one or two of the ingredients, so have expressed an unwillingness to take this product. I have a similar problem with multivits myself.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Oldvatr

Are you sure that overdosing on K2 can be serious?
I know that is the case for K1 (blood clotting) but from my reading there is no known toxicity for K2 at any level it is feasible for a human to ingest...

Also, doctors regularly (and erroneously IMHO) prescribe weekly treatments of huge amounts of D3, far in excess of what is offered in even multiple doses of this product.

We don't all need that, obviously! But a paltry 93% of RDA is not going to be an issue, unless, like @carty there is a pre-existing condition - in which case we/they should all be checking with docs before we take stuff anyway...

Reactions: SueBlitz

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Oldvatr.

Each portion is 2.8g of carbs, so about 13% of my total daily carb load at 20g a day. For those not on a strict LCHF, the impact should be lower.

Yes measuring is important which is straightforward with a level dose in the measurer supplied.

The sodium is 36mg per portion, taken once a day. Certainly for me with the attendant leaching of sodium on my LCHF diet, I need to add, 4g per day, (4000mg), so the sodium impact appears negligible.

I'm not disagreeing with the factual statements re net carbs , protein or sodium per 100mg, just trying to provide some context based on the daily dose.

Nothing I can add re the non mins, vits, and enzymes, other than my research summaries .

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Oldvatr

Are you sure that overdosing on K2 can be serious?
I know that is the case for K1 (blood clotting) but from my reading there is no known toxicity for K2 at any level it is feasible for a human to ingest...

Also, doctors regularly (and erroneously IMHO) prescribe weekly treatments of huge amounts of D3, far in excess of what is offered in even multiple doses of this product.

We don't all need that, obviously! But a paltry 93% of RDA is not going to be an issue, unless, like @carty there is a pre-existing condition - in which case we/they should all be checking with docs before we take stuff anyway...
Sorry my booboo. Its K-3 that has toxic capability. It is an artificial form of Vit K (menadione), and is banned in USA, but still in use in UK as a dietary supplement and pet food additive. Since it is manufactured then it is available for commercial purposes, which is why I suspected it. It is, as you point out a synthetic analogue for K1 anticoagulant. It is not used in NuZest,

Edit to add: D3 supplementation is not advised during pregnancy, and also if breastfeeding.
Vit D3 is also contraindicated for the following drugs
  • Digoxin
  • Aluminum hydroxide
  • Water pills like chlorthalidone, hydrochlorothiazide, and chlorothiazide
  • Magnesium hydroxide and magnesium citrate
  • Fosphenytoin
  • alcohol (in excess)
  • Bile acid sequestrants like Welchol (colesevelam), Colestid (colestipol), Locholest or Prevalite (cholestyramine)
I bet NuZest carries no health warnings

Reactions: 2 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Oldvatr.

Each portion is 2.8g of carbs, so about 13% of my total daily carb load at 20g a day. For those not on a strict LCHF, the impact should be lower.

Yes measuring is important which is straightforward with a level dose in the measurer supplied.

The sodium is 36mg per portion, taken once a day. Certainly for me with the attendant leaching of sodium on my LCHF diet, I need to add, 4g per day, (4000mg), so the sodium impact appears negligible.

I'm not disagreeing with the factual statements re net carbs , protein or sodium per 100mg, just trying to provide some context based on the daily dose.

Nothing I can add re the non mins, vits, and enzymes, other than my research summaries .

I agree that at 10g helping, it is low impact on LCHF, but as with anything, it is easy to take more than the recommended dose (as it were) I suspect that the product does not have any health warnings, or advice against using more than the serving SUGGESTION (and presumably it is only a suggestion). I know from experience that Amway had to withdraw their Nutrilite products because people were treating them as sweets, and I had same problem with Herbalife when I was a distributor. the NuZest marketing blurb is hypeing it up in a way that the serious side is not discussed. This is Healthy and Wonderful and by implication you can use as much as you like.

Incidentally, my cuppa soup has 4.5g / 100g carb, of which 1g is sugars, and 1.4 g / 100g protein. so it is less than the green stuff if I limit myself to 10 g serving. But of course a sachet serving is 218g which is why I spike.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oldvatr, excellent points, thanks.

The can states "always read the label and use only as directed. If you are pregnant, breast-feeding or on prescription medicines, including warfarin, please consult with your health professional before using. Do not exceed the maximum stated dose. Food supplements should not be used as a substitute for a balanced and varied diet. Keep out of reach of young children."

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oldvatr, excellent points, thanks.

The can states "always read the label and use only as directed. If you are pregnant, breast-feeding or on prescription medicines, including warfarin, please consult with your health professional before using. Do not exceed the maximum stated dose. Food supplements should not be used as a substitute for a balanced and varied diet. Keep out of reach of young children."

Thank you for posting this. I could not see this on any of the websites I visited, and if you buy via Amazing grayce then they do not even mention any of the ingredients so I could not check before I bought. At least the safety info is on the product, and that makes me feel a bit better.

Good luck with the testing, but the product is too expensive for me to consider. I had enough trouble trialling Bitter Melon. I have seen other outfits selling similar types of product at vastly inflated prices, but I never felt the need to try any of them. One such supplier provides me with quite a good weekly blog that has sensible info on it, and their product is used to fund the newsletter. What got me about Nuzest was the scale and brashness of their marketing operation which rang alarm bells. At least now we have aired the issues I had.

PS We have a Nutri thingey and it does work for both smoothies and soups. Be sure to empty them after use. We left a mix in the blender for a dew days, and it exploded violently when I put it in hot water to wash. Surprisingly, it actually unscrewed itself, and was undamaged - we are still using it. The kitchen needs redecorating though.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The Nutribullet, is one thing I haven't invested in yet, but I seriously wonder if I should take the plunge.

Mátyás

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kev,

I hope you are doing well.

I just bought my first Nuzest Good Green Stuff today. Hopefully, it will energize me and make me feel better as I am really tired usually and I need to boost my energy level.

Are you still consuming it (I see this topic was opened more than a year)?

Cheers and have a great day,

M.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kev,

I just bought my first Nuzest Good Green Stuff today. Hopefully, it will energize me and make me feel better as I am really tired usually and I need to boost my energy level.

M.
Kevin's profile says that he hasn't logged in here for 45 weeks +, so probably unlikely that he'll see your message.

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kev,

M.
Hi Matyas, just been reading old posts and came across yours. Was the Nuzest Good Green Stuff helpful? Are you still taking it? And would you recommend it?

Best wishes