Oat milk has 105 GI!!!

• Thread starter Deleted member 567281
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 567281

Strictly speaking, I'm not a vegetarian/vegan, but I often choose those options if available, so I wanted to cut down on dairy (not cut it out, just consume less of), so I've been using oat milk in my teas/coffees occasionally. I've only just found out that the glycemic index of oat milk is off the chart: 105 - higher than pure glucose - due to its content of maltose. And sure enough, when I checked my BG a few minutes after consuming a cup of coffee with oat milk, it registered 7.3 - by far the highest reading I've got this past week, even after meals. Why don't they put a warning on the label?

Edit: two hours later my BG returned to base level 4.9 so it was definitely the oat milk in my coffee that caused the spike. I had a delivery from Tesco's earlier and I sent back the oat milk I had ordered last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Hug
Reactions: jjraak

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Strictly speaking, I'm not a vegetarian/vegan, but I often choose those options if available, so I wanted to cut down on dairy (not cut it out, just consume less of), so I've been using oat milk in my teas/coffees occasionally. I've only just found out that the glycemic index of oat milk is off the chart: 105 - higher than pure glucose - due to its content of maltose. And sure enough, I've checked my BG a few minutes after consuming a cup of coffee with oat milk and I registered 7.3 - by far the highest reading I've got this past week. Why don't they put a warning on the label?
Why don't they?

And Why?

Is often used, when logic is ignored.

On labels, Bold letters mean they could have an effect on you in some way, typically an allergy.
wheat is in that list because, most people are worried about is gluten intolerance.
But it is not gluten, it is caeliac disease, the reason for the label warning.
When I researched wheat, I found other factors that those susceptible should be worried about.
If like me and some T2s and others. Wheat can be horrible for your health.
And when they replace the gluten in the gluten free range, they replace it potato starch!
First, potatoes are really bad for me and starch is just another name for carbohydrates.
Oats are composed of a similar nature to wheat, maize, corn, barley and a few more.
Again, reading a few research papers, that found, that eating (too much, depending on the individual) grains will cause inflammation in many patients susceptible to T2.
Inflammation is a precursor to higher glycaemic levels, which causes insulin dysregulation, insulin resistance and higher levels of circulating insulin. Which may effect your insulin response to carbs.

So, yes!
Why don't they?

Answer, wheat is cheap and you have to feed the world, that is why Ukraine is so important for many countries.

Stay safe.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's always worth checking actual ingredients carefully, sometimes descriptions can be misleading.

But maybe look at a no sugar nut version instead?
(Anything "grainy" tends to be a definite no-no for me.:yuck:)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Susan369
Welcome to the minefield of food

Great answer by @Lamont D.

Carbs are cheap, as are a lot of ingredients used to make some of products sold to the masses.

Never has buyer beware, been more applicable then after DX .

And leading on to my point @Robbity makes good sense .

We all believed we knew what healthy was.

Then we find out we have or are heading towards a nasty little disease that is best avoided .

That is when the onus is on us to take a 2nd look at what we thought we knew about food .

To save a little time IN the supermarket just type in your preferred chain plus the food choice. (I use Tesco, but sure the big ones are all similar)

Milk.

For example.
Shows nutrient levels etc

I personally think that as few additions as possible to the final product suits me better.
And I ignore the GI levels & just carb count ...( Others may choose otherwise )

But after DX I did try a lot of the alternative milks (nut etc) but didn't find any I really liked the taste of as much as plain full fat milk in my tea.

( cereal went very early on in my journey)

Best of luck picking your own path through the maze of info & disinformation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 567281

Hi @Susan369
Welcome to the minefield of food

Great answer by @Lamont D.

Carbs are cheap, as are a lot of ingredients used to make some of products sold to the masses.

Never has buyer beware, been more applicable then after DX .

And leading on to my point @Robbity makes good sense .

We all believed we knew what healthy was.

Then we find out we have or are heading towards a nasty little disease that is best avoided .

That is when the onus is on us to take a 2nd look at what we thought we knew about food .

To save a little time IN the supermarket just type in your preferred chain plus the food choice. (I use Tesco, but sure the big ones are all similar)

Milk.

For example.
Shows nutrient levels etc

I personally think that as few additions as possible to the final product suits me better.
And I ignore the GI levels & just carb count ...( Others may choose otherwise )

But after DX I did try a lot of the alternative milks (nut etc) but didn't find any I really liked the taste of as much as plain full fat milk in my tea.

( cereal went very early on in my journey)

Best of luck picking your own path through the maze of info & disinformation.

Yes, I think I'll just stick with milk in moderation and a bit of cream. They also add seed oils to nut milks, which makes them inflammatory.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lamont D and jjraak

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, I think I'll just stick with milk in moderation and a bit of cream. They also add seed oils to nut milks, which makes them inflammatory.
I noticed one that a certain (margarine) spread, which had written all over it, healthy, best taste, lowers
cholesterol, low fat, good for you, Mediterranean olive oil and 60% palm oil!

Could not get my head around it, why anyone could eat a slab of the stuff is beyond me!

Chuffin disgusting!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That seems to be a slight change in ingredients since I last bought any Alpro almond or hazelnut.... :banghead: :banghead: Slightly dearer Plenish still appears to be OK though.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak