Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Indy51 this thread is great.

I had huge hunger from the 300-400 units of insulin and as a result my satiety was out of control. My stomach was stretched and the never ending cycle of hunger and not allowing the privilege of training a shrinking stomach capacity I was doomed without surgical intervention. That situation also had the capacity to get progressively worse. Costing thousands for insulin injections. I'm still on minimal units but I can work on this with additional weight loss to my 6½sts lost so far.
I hv no regrets having the Roux-en-y operation mid-june'19. I just wish I could hv had it sooner than the 3yr wait from agreeing to it after researching it; for me.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it also is worth mentioning that food addiction may not involve carbs at all. Food addiction is a complex thing. Eating disorders are many and varied, and its good to know that the psychology of someone is taken into account when considering bariatric surgery.

Often, without proper interventions, one addiction is substituted for another.
You do hear of those who've had their substance of abuse removed eg. via bariatric surgery then turn to other substances or binge on liquids to get their fix thus negating the surgery. From my own experience though I only binged on carby/sweet things. As the man says, the carbs were also 'vehicle' foods without which I would not have binged on cheese (only works with crackers or french bread) or mayo (only works with hot chips after your diet club weight in!). It took Cbt in my 20s and lots of practice to overcome this and I do think plenty people show signs of addiction to those foods and in fact its so common that is part of mainstream food and diet culture. whilst we continue to obsess over calories this will continue.

Reactions: VioletViolet

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes. Good liver function is essential. As I've always said more a liver problem than a pancreas, unlike type1.

A fatty liver or internal tummy fat can sufficated a healthy liver function.
That's why metformin is an excellent med for type2 (insulin resistance). It works in the liver.

Last edited: