Obesity Is Not Your Fault!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And the reverse as we often see.

'I can't lose weight, any diet puts me into starvation mode/thrifty gene/yoyo dieting etc, so nobody should'

It's very true though, I'm in the second group, and we should always remember we are individual, and for some it'll work very well to simply lose weight.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm doubtful about the study's methods: apparently "Academics in Australia tested a group of people who ate a diet high in sugar and fat and low in fruit, vegetables and fibre and another group who ate more healthily."

For me, sugar certainly makes me put on weight, but fat doesn't. On the other hand, fruit does but vegetables don't. So if I were to follow this test diet, I would put on weight. But if I were to reverse it (presumably what they mean by eating "more healthily") and eat a diet high in fruit and vegetables and low in fat and sugar I'd also put on weight. It seems to me they can't draw any meaningful conclusions unless they separate out the components of the diet: is it fat or sugar? Lack of vegetables or lack of fruit?

Of course, they may have done all this, but since the article doesn't say, and either there's no link or I'm too unobservant to find it, I can't be sure.

Kate
There is a study recently published that does seem to be bona fide RCT type study, which found that a diet of 50:50 sugar/fat combination (caloric content) did actually seem to turn off the 'satiety' enzymes, so people tend to binge eat without realizing it. This may be why doughnuts and cream cakes are so difficult to resist.

However, not sure if it affects memory per se. My wife is definitely programmed towards donuts, so it could be true.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are so many different groups of T2 people.

- the ones who had a truly awful diet, ignored their weight and took no exercise, got T2 as a wakeup call, went on a diet, lost weight easily, reverse
- the ones who had a truly awful diet, ignored their weight and took no exercise, got T2 as a wakeup call, went on a diet, struggle to lose, and have to battle daily
- the ones who exercised hugely, still developed T2, often because they ate rubbish, who improve by just not eating rubbish
- the ones who have battled with weight, diets and hormones for years, if not decades and still end up fat with T2
- the ones who have multiple health issues where diet and exercise are extremely challenging
- the ones who are emotionally, physically or chemically unable to diet/lose weight
- the slim ones who ate well and exercised
- the slim ones who ate badly and didn't exercise and didn't get fat

For any study to make such pronouncements as 'obesity is not our fault' is simultaneously right and wrong.
What makes me angry is when people on this forum say something like 'if I can do it, anyone can'. Because it isn't true, and shows a terrible misunderstanding of the complexities involved for individuals.
You forgot the type like me who are genetic, and who became obese only after diagnosis.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I blame the Hippopotamus too. So big and bulky. Not a good role model at all.

Sorry, they said hippocampus. i thought it was a campsite for hippos, Duh! Stoopid Moggie!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Reactions: 2 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
There are so many different groups of T2 people.

- the ones who had a truly awful diet, ignored their weight and took no exercise, got T2 as a wakeup call, went on a diet, lost weight easily, reverse
- the ones who had a truly awful diet, ignored their weight and took no exercise, got T2 as a wakeup call, went on a diet, struggle to lose, and have to battle daily
- the ones who exercised hugely, still developed T2, often because they ate rubbish, who improve by just not eating rubbish
- the ones who have battled with weight, diets and hormones for years, if not decades and still end up fat with T2
- the ones who have multiple health issues where diet and exercise are extremely challenging
- the ones who are emotionally, physically or chemically unable to diet/lose weight
- the slim ones who ate well and exercised
- the slim ones who ate badly and didn't exercise and didn't get fat

For any study to make such pronouncements as 'obesity is not our fault' is simultaneously right and wrong.
What makes me angry is when people on this forum say something like 'if I can do it, anyone can'. Because it isn't true, and shows a terrible misunderstanding of the complexities involved for individuals.
@Brunneria has it spot on.
One size fits all should be outlawed as discrimination.

Reactions: 3 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
It's unfortunate at least.
But, and a big but.
You will never stop them getting diabetes, or obesity, or both, as you say, it is entirely out of their control. Nothing will change it.
But, the majority of type 2 diabetics, by a big majority are obese. And can be helped by curbing overeating.
So you can't punish those who are obese, and diabetic, pre-diabetic, or even just starting on the road there, and also the other risks that come with obesity, by not mentioning it, and not encouraging that group to eat less.
That'll be causing physical harm to the majority, which is a greater wrong.

I have no problem with it being mentioned, and agree it's right to do so. I do have a problem with those who believe there is only one cause and effect, and insist that belief is fact, something that occurs with saddening regularity.

dandy78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
While I agree that is also my fault, I wasn't even close of overeating. When I diet before I hardly aet 2000 cals (on a 2400 cal burned for my weight), I walked everyday 3-5 km (don't even have a car so all my trips are made by foot or by bus) - yet, I kept gaining on weight. The only thing different from now, was that instead of eating 15% carbs 60% fat, I was eating 60-70% carbs and 10-20% fat. Growing up in a culture that blame fats and praised "lighter" foods like bread, pasta, potatoes, etc I was subconsciously choose foods that I thought that were healthier for me.
Then it was the distinction between carbs and sugar, making you think that you eat healthier if you choose "No added sugar" foods - although they were loaded with carbs. 2 slices of bread contains more carbs than 1 can of coke, yet we don't feel so guilty that we make unhealthy choices when we eat the bread as we do when we drink the coke.
Now I can only speculate that having increased insulin resistance, my high carb diet was the way to make things worse and worse. If I only knew back then what I knew now - my life would have been a lot better. But I cannot be an expert in everything.

Reactions: 4 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cognitive behaviour has us conditioned to high sugar high fat foods. Some associate pleasure with a cream cake. Their minds need rewiring to see pleasure in rabbit food only?
I seem to associate pleasure with scantily clad ladies. But then i am already wired like a rabbit. What should I rewire myself as?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
No, some of us see pleasure in more things than carbs/cream cakes etc in life...

I really would like to know why "comfort"eating is done by some and some suffer from anorexia instead..

Some take care of themselves OTT (probably me) and some don't. By this I mean I do everhthing I can to avoid medications and others just accept them...

I believe a lot of this thinking came from my parents..

Ie a see a friends child... This childs 2nd word was chocolate. This child will do anything for chocolate. She is now just 5 years old. She is an exceptional, talented beautiful girl but long term it has been the parents that bought and fed her this food..

Its parents that need to re educated....and rewired for the next generation of health issues...