Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Obesity Still A Dominant Risk Factor for Diabetes Despite Good Genes
Even in the subset of people with a low genetic risk score, compared to people with a normal weight, those who were obese had a more than sixfold increased risk of developing diabetes (HR, 6.63).

In addition, in this low genetic risk subset, compared to people with a normal weight and healthy lifestyle, those who were obese and had an unhealthy lifestyle had a massive almost tenfold higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes (HR, 9.94).

"The effect of obesity on type 2 diabetes risk is dominant over other risk factors," the researchers conclude.

M

Member496333

Personally I prefer Diabetes Still A Dominant Risk Factor for Obesity Despite Good Genes.

It continues to irk me that 'researchers' never stop to consider the direction of causation when it comes to association. Scientists are supposed to be smart. Sometimes I'm convinced it's wilful ignorance and misdirection. Typically, T2DM and obesity are two sides of the same metabolic-meltdown coin. Obesity is actually a protection mechanism from diabetes. That is why the body stores glucose as fat - so that you don't become diabetic overnight. Of course eventually it exhausts its capacity to do so. At which point we blame one symptom for another symptom and forget all about the underlying cause of both.

We need to STOP blaming diabetes on fat people :mad:

PS. @ickihun not having a go at you. You're only sharing the information. It just winds me up that these amateur scientists (A.K.A. "researchers") even get published.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ickihun and HSSS

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I would add to Jim's comment the seeming 'paradox' of TOFIism where obesity is not a factor for T2/IR.
A factor that these researchers ignore. If you think you are safe because you have a normal BMI (Yuck! I hate typing those letters!) then think again. Weight gain is a symptom, a symptom that not everyone gets.

M

Member496333

I would add to Jim's comment the seeming 'paradox' of TOFIism where obesity is not a factor for T2/IR.
A factor that these researchers ignore. If you think you are safe because you have a normal BMI (Yuck! I hate typing those letters!) then think again. Weight gain is a symptom, a symptom that not everyone gets.

Yup. But people like to dismiss paradoxes as an anomaly. A paradox is a data point that brings into question a hypothesis. It shouldn’t be dismissed just because we don’t understand it.

I am (was) TOFI. I’m unable to become obese, and so I became insulin resistant by looking at a loaf of bread one morning. Inability to become obese equals inability to safely store glucose equals diabetes. Ergo being slim causes diabetes, researchers say. Oh hang on...

Reactions: ickihun

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
...and what's with the 'Good Genes' thaing? Twin studies clearly show that blaming stuff on good/bad genes is a bit of a cop out.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately when we pick on obesity we ought to be picking on dia-obesity.
Although the BMI is only a proxy for body fat, obesity is still a marker for dia-obesity for many people though I'd prefer blood tests/scans for low HDL, high trigs, fatty liver and other symptoms of hyperinsulinemia, the scales remain a useful tool because they are so universal. A tape measure would be another easy to use tool that would be more relevant to the problem area. Even TOFIs usually notice extra fat gathering around their trunk!
The blame and shame here is being inferred here and is not actually implied by the research.
I think it is relevant to point out that modifiable 'risks' or symptoms (high blood pressure, obesity and a generous waistline) can be addressed whereas age, ethnicity, sex and genetics can't. The fact that a low carb diet seems to be the best non surgical way to reduce dia-obesity should then be highlighted with all that implies for helping those who are 'carbohydrate intolerant.'

Reactions: ickihun
M

Member496333

...and what's with the 'Good Genes' thaing?

Helps to explain paradoxes if anyone asks awkward questions. Genes innit :D

To be fair I don’t doubt for a second that genetic factors influence our likelihood of developing all manner of conditions, but I believe that how we express those genes ultimately determines the outcomes. For example my TOFI gene would never have been a problem if I had always eaten the way I do now.

Reactions: ickihun and Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

To be fair I don’t doubt for a second that genetic factors influence our likelihood of developing all manner of conditions, but I believe that how we express those genes ultimately determines the outcomes. For example my TOFI gene would never have been a problem if I had always eaten the way I do now.
Exactly.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Epigenetics whereby you can suppress bad genes with a good diet though doing so won't turn you from a labrador to a greyhound/ Aberdeen Angus to a Jersey etc.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Epigenetics whereby you can suppress bad genes with a good diet though doing so won't turn you from a labrador to a greyhound/ Aberdeen Angus to a Jersey etc.
I am not convinced that a lot of confidence (at this stage) can be put on epigenetics, seems to me that those who seek to treat using epis as a guide may be unaware of the possible pleiotropic effects. Was viewing a Giles Yeo Royal Institute vid on YouTube a while back and he reckons that there are over 200 genes associated with obesity alone. A virtual Spaghetti Junction to work with.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm no gene expert but read once that thousands of genes can cause or should say are actually related to diabetes (not obesity but all different types of diabetes). So I was wondering if lifestyle is being plugged here. Or meds rather than genes.
My lifestyle changed once I was diagnosed in 2002 but still IR. I think will always be. No matter how much exercise or no carbs/low carbs, calories or being tea total. Or superior supplements.
I am what I am.
Losing weight as long as my bgs are in excellent longterm control range. No matter how much insulin.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thousands of genes can cause or should say are actually related to diabetes
Have they changed that much in the last 60 years..?
Unlikely...... so.... it's probably something else.
Maybe the way our genes react to what we eat perchance?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually think it is more to do with genes than 'obesity' or anything else , otherwise half the entire world would be diabetic surely? I am not saying that how you live doesn't increase or decrease the risk of ANY disease by some amount but there are far more 'obese' people without diabetes than with it. It's past time they stopped playing the 'let's blame & humiliate' game.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I actually think it is more to do with genes than 'obesity' or anything else , otherwise half the entire world would be diabetic surely? I am not saying that how you live doesn't increase or decrease the risk of ANY disease by some amount but there are far more 'obese' people without diabetes than with it. It's past time they stopped playing the 'let's blame & humiliate' game.
I'm resist to tramadol now. I need insulin as if I'm a rhino and my belief is how the fat cell that can be emptied but not killed are made. If made under stress I feel it has been created...... Not equal.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
or should that be without diagnosed diabetes maybe?

You definitely have a point there! They do seem to be doing more of these after 45yrs of age 'well person' clinics though and many of those must be obese but come back with 'non diabetic' numbers. I know of course that these days the feeling is that it ain't just about hb1ac's, (Jim's theories for example) but I wonder also what a 'truly' non diabetic/non glucose impairment result would be and if they were prepared to come up with that number, how many more people would be classified as having diabetes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
how many more people would be classified as having diabetes.

Or well on the way to developing it...
if only there was a test for endogenous insulin production and insulin resistance!.. oh wait!...

M

Member496333

...otherwise half the entire world would be diabetic surely?

Some estimates put c.80% of the US population as either diagnosed or undiagnosed with metabolic syndrome or diabetes as we speak. If this is even nearly accurate, and we carry on as we are, then 50% of the entire world is probably not too many decades away.