Occlusion alarms - pump fault or something else?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So last weekend I changed my set as usual and it stung as I bolused (not uncommon with some sites for me) but a few hours later got an occlusion alarm and site was sore. Changed set and moved site along and all seemed ok. Next morning Bg were ok but got occlusion alarm again. primed etc but couldn't bolus so changed set again. Wondered if might be bad batch as had just opened box so used another batch and set worked ok. marked batch as possible faulty. Changed set again yesterday and worked fine for 24 hours but now got occlusion alarm again and can't bolus. Pulled set and, like other, no kink or blood etc. I am using the strip along my front under my ribs and can't believe whole area suddenly can't be used. Could my pump be at fault?

As it happens I have another pump coming as this one has a crack below battery cap but these issues started before that and pump seems to be running fine. Usually when I get occlusion alarm set is kinked or area bleeds etc

Also all sites that have had occlusion alarms have had that weird buzzing/pressure feeling when I bolus. Have had this many times before though and sets not failed. Just unpleasant.

Last edited:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
My pump kept alarming and the bloke on the helpline swore blind it was a faulty cartridge causing the problem.

I do have to ask though....... why are you using a pump with a crack in it? As the crack is below the battery cap there is a very good chance the electric supply to the pump is being interrupted thus your problems. So again you are wasting cannulas at £10 a pop when there's nothing wrong with them.

Last edited:

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have changed cartridge in between the sets so guess it's not that. I always pump the reservoir too. I usually only get an occlusion alarm maybe one a year and it's a kinked cannula. Don't get what's happening. Could I suddenly have scar tissue all along one area causing this?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Don't get what's happening. Could I suddenly have scar tissue all along one area causing this?

No you are using a faulty pump and should be either using a backup or back on injections/pen until a new pump arrives.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah so you think it is pump fault? I have no background insulin due to my stupid doctor's surgery so can't go back to injections. Basically my background insulin went out of date so I requested more. Surgery said I didn't need it as was on pump and that only takes fast acting. I have been arguing for a month now saying I must have it incase pump breaks etc. Now even more annoyed with them!

I get new pump tomorrow so will try and hang on.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So what did you do with your previous pump don't you have that as a spare?

I'm amazed animas deliver on a Sunday!

Simple solution regarding the long acting is to ask your DSN to write to your Dr and tell him to put it on your prescription. I can't see why you can not use your short acting as a temp measure by just injecting every 4 hours until new pump arrives.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do have my previous pump somewhere but not sure where as we are having house renovations and have lots in storage etc. Animas don;t deliver on a Sunday but I couldn't stay in to sign today so had it sent to my mum's and collecting tomorrow. Mind you I wasn't thinking I'd need it tonight as thought last set was working ok.

I guess I could inject every 4 hours but won't be much fun during the night. I have a disabled son that I have to care for so being tired/messing about injecting isn't ideal either. Just hope this all stops with new pump.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could you try a site in a new/reliable area @MushyPeaBrain ? Even if it only lasts till tomorrow, you'll at least be abLe to get some sleep hopefully.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
New pump set up with new reservoir from another batch, new battery etc. Going well so far so fingers crossed!