Odd home OGTT results?

Hi,
New here,

So I apologise in advance cause my readings are really tame compared to what I have seen in this forum but then I've got pretty strong symptoms that doctors don't explain at the time so I need to close as many doors as possible.

So I've had odd symptoms mid August (tingling in hands and feet). Just googled it and thought "omg I have diabetes" and immediately got into crash diet.
I have had pretty terrible diet for years although I managed to stay more or less in shape.
Two weeks into crash diet I get to see my GP that orders a fasting blood test.
It's 95, I'm 41 no tension and doesn't look obese so my doctor tells me basically 'you don't have diabetes period - also I knew it from start because you don't look obese', your symptoms come from something else.
But I'm unconvinced cause I feel like my crash diet might be hiding real condition (lost 30 pounds in a month through less eating, cutting virtually all sugar -but still carbs- and exercise) so I buy a glucometer.
At first I have good results so I start to feel better about it, than I'm also in the middle of a crash diet.
I have once a series of odd readings so I decide to hack an OGTT experiment.
In the morning after 12hours fasting I drink 2 cans of Coca-Cola™ (calculated amount to get 75g sugar) and start taking readings every 30 minutes.
Here are the readings:
(all readings mg/dl)
0: 78 (fasting)
30: 125
60: 85
90: 106
120: 94

So right at the moment when I should peak it crashes and then bounce back.
I have some reading like this before after eating large amounts of carb although they seemed inconclusive.
So reading the numbers I'm pretty convinced I don't have diabetes but couldn't this be some kind of reactive hypoglycemia which means I have been flirting with diabetes before I improved my habits?

Now I get my levels are very tame although I'm in the middle of a crash diet and not sure how long I can maintain that level of commitment.
Is this all statistical noise or should I talk my GP about that?

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

there is nothing in your readings that suggest either diabetes or RH to me.
Your variation in readings could easily be the inevitable inaccuracies of a home meter.

however, have you looked further into the tingling hands and feet?
You may find it interesting to look up B12 deficiency and get checked out for it.
Always worth crossing another possibility of the list as you work towards getting to the root cause. :)

Reactions: Overthinkingit

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
If you have the funds consider using a Freestyle Libre, with your normal meals. Glucometers can miss spikes, even if the Libre is not fully dialled in, it will show relative potential spikes.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your figures are not indicative of diabetes, far from it.
You are completely normoglycemic.
Your tingling issues must lie elsewhere.

Reactions: Overthinkingit

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Overthinkingit - I agree with the others that the readings you have posted here, don't indicate diabetes, or even glucose dysregulation.

Whilst tingling hands and feet may be on the list of symptoms for diabetes, you would also find it on the list of symptoms for lots of other conditions.

Were it me, I'd be asking my doctor for a broad blood panel, to include anaemia, vitamins, minerals and thyroid function.

Good luck finding out the solution to your issues.

Ok so I'm fairly convinced I'm ok on the blood sugar front.
I had vitamins and main vitals checked when I got my blood sample.
My GP sent me to an angiologist that didn't find anything wrong told me I might try seeing a neurologist.

Anyway thanks everybody for good advice, helps a lot.