Off CGM...

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's a bunch of videos on youtube on how to insert it in your arm on your own:

I'm planning to do that with my next sensor, just to see how I get on with it. But my bf will be on stand-by in case I need help with the insertion :)

iHs

Must admit...looking at that video definately makes it look fzirly straightforward and easy

Cheers Pauline

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Just wondering on this........ive met 2 peeps in person who swear by cgm. Both have the sensors in their arm and both are slim to avrrage build. Inserting the sensors in the arm looks like a two prrson job but the sensors seem to last ok.

I love the sensors and would hate to be without them now I've used them for a couple of months, I have inserted one in my arm and yes it was easy to do as I just knelt on the floor and used my bed as the extra prop. I did find though the sensor did not last as long when inserted in the arm and the results were not as accurate as a tummy insertion. This was just my experience though and others have found fantastic results and no difference in usage time. Hope that helps somebody.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My sensors when I had them were always in my muscly arms and always did them one woman.

Loving life

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Inserted the sensor in my arm yesterday. So far it's quite accurate (but it's first 24h). My arm is still a bit sore, but it's so much more comfortable to have it on my arm! I did insert is slightly on the side on my arm, not completely on the back and that was my mistake - I have problems sleeping on my side now :)
But otherwise I'm happy so far.

anniehi41

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Engineer88,

I too am on Animas Vibe, Humalog, and recently trialled a CGM. I have decided I can't do without it now and I am going to fund one myself. It's the alarms for the pending Hypos I find the most important. I am retired but I can understand your annoyance if you are woken unnecessarily when you have to go to work.

My digestion affects my blood readings also and without a pancreas I have to take loads of Creon capsules (digestive enzymes).The challenge is getting the Humalog and the meal rise to work at similar times, if I bolus too soon it causes a hypo if I wait too long to bolus I go hyper, mostly my BG only starts to come down during the third hour after the bolus. The CGM is helping me because I can see what is happening.

I can't see you giving the CGM up for long though it is addictive and once you had one I am sure it will be hard for you not to see exactly what your BG is up to. Just wish they weren't so darned expensive, both of the two sensors I've used have lasted about 16 days then they have just become less accurate.

Anyway good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Annie.

Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm back on. Crumbled yesterday although as I was doing it I was thinking - I dont really want to do this.

Lasted 7 days. felt mostly fine although I tested more often 'in between' as would be expected.

had quite a few thoughts of If I had it on I would know.

I have no problem what so ever with tummy inserts. I'm not changing and you cant make me!!!!!

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm back on. Crumbled yesterday although as I was doing it I was thinking - I dont really want to do this.

Lasted 7 days. felt mostly fine although I tested more often 'in between' as would be expected.

had quite a few thoughts of If I had it on I would know.

I have no problem what so ever with tummy inserts. I'm not changing and you cant make me!!!!!

Hehe, I'm glad you're back ;) But 7 days is A LOT! I don't think I would've lasted a day. The 2-hour start up period seems too long! :eek:

If you like it on your tummy, keep it there! ;) I don't mind it there, but it was getting in the way sometimes. It's much more convenient now on my arm (for me!) :angelic:

Let us know how you get on with the new sensors. Hopefully this batch will be better than the last one ;)

Reactions: 4 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!
I got a new pack of sensors and started thinking about this thread again. How do you store your sensors? With the hot weather we had maybe they "went bad"? They're not supposed to be kept above 25C - I was keeping mine in the fridge next to insulin.
Just a thought!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ummmm don't know. Keep them in a sideboard in the living room. Don't think it got about 25... But I guess I could be wrong.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning guys,

I've decided to take a break from the CGM. Anyone else felt like this?

Basically fed up of the constant alarms I've had lately. I had a 'bad' box of sensors none have lasted more than 16 days which is very discouraging. I've had 2 of the 4 replaced but its put me off so much :(

Otherwise all in all im really cheesed off. I've gained weight (4/5lb) which is enough for me to know about it and my Ave bloods havent dropped like I would like with the new insulin (although the responce is SOO much better).

If anyone wants me I'll be sulking in the low carb corner.
Sorry to hear this Eng. :-(

Yes if I get short sensor life it really discourages me. And I get constant alarms too, most of them trivial. It feels like the important alarms are lost in the useless alarms and it all becomes a meaningless headache-inducing cacophony. :-(

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I came off my cgm, it was giving false hypo alarms during the night. Checking blood to meter I was in the majority of cases above 5.0.
Had it constantly alarming on a 4 hour drive on motorway.. Tested constantly and wasn't hypo and was always above 6.0.
It then imploded and I gave it back to hosp.
Mine was a pain in butt. I get better levels just from testing...
Reported to mhra for the chronic failures and false low readings. They asked the Company to investigate themselves! Later on all the blood strips used for calibrating this cgm and meters were withdrawn and replaced.
You aren't alone.

Loving life
Mine is a PITA when I drive. They need to make hands free remotes you can use while driving.

Bloody alarm is more likely to make me crash my car than a hypo.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just wondering on this........ive met 2 peeps in person who swear by cgm. Both have the sensors in their arm and both are slim to avrrage build. Inserting the sensors in the arm looks like a two prrson job but the sensors seem to last ok.
Hmm I think I could get a Dexcom sensor in my arm one handed. Maybe not onto SkinTac though. My aim would be 'approximate'.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Eng I wonder if there is any chance it was the switch to Humalog that threw everything out? For example does the receiver use previous sensor session data (eg Novorapid data) to do its estimations from interstitial fluid to BG? Just seems like a coincidence. My troubleshooting approach always starts with "what changed?".

Maybe do a factory reset on the receiver (pump)? Or ask Animas tech support?

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hmm I think I could get a Dexcom sensor in my arm one handed. Maybe not onto SkinTac though. My aim would be 'approximate'.

Hi Spiker, I have a sensor in my arm and it's been there for 2 weeks now. It's place about 3 inches above the elbow crease. Make sure the narrow end faces downwards so that gravity removes the inserter :) I found it easy to insert by sitting on the floor and using my bed as an arm rest. Very comfy doesn't catch on anything and has stayed put so far.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi!
I got a new pack of sensors and started thinking about this thread again. How do you store your sensors? With the hot weather we had maybe they "went bad"? They're not supposed to be kept above 25C - I was keeping mine in the fridge next to insulin.
Just a thought!
You can keep the sensors in your fridge. It says so in the instruction leaflet. :) I've always done so with no problems.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can keep the sensors in your fridge. It says so in the instruction leaflet. :) I've always done so with no problems.
Yep, I kept my first box in the fridge, this was during the "heat wave". That's why I suggested that Eng's sensors may have gotten too hot.

I keep my current box in the room, it's not that hot anymore ;) and I wanted to see if there's any difference between fridge vs room temp!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Guys it seems very much like i had a 'bad' box 4 short and fairly troublesome sensors. I'm back on now and expecting a new box of sensors. I guess the fridge is a def plan for future summers!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Very glad to hear you are back in the game, Eng. x