Off Metformin, susceptible to Hypos?

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I came off my Metformin around 10 days ago - does this make me susceptible to hypos? As I understood it hypos on Metformin are rare so haven't really worried about it? Should I now? Still feel like a newbie :(

Sometime I realise I still have so much to learn! Thanks for any advice. I've been in the 5s range when settled and only occasionally going under 4, interestingly last time post eating a Scotch Egg!

Thank you

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's the opposite. If you didn't have hypos with metformin which would be rare anyway then you won't when you come off it.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Penfold, anyone can have a hypo, whether diabetic or not, or taking meds or not. Taking Metformin does make it too much more likely, and coming off probably makes little discernible difference.

If you see a low number on your meter, and you feel ok (that second bit is important), then just carry on with what you had been intending to do. I'm regularly in the 3s, and about half an hour ago, I was on 3.3. I'm now at 3.8, without eating or drinking anything, so I've probably had a liver dump.

If you see a low number and you feel unwell in some way, then eat or drink something. If you feel well enough, repeat your finger prick test before you eat something, but if you feel like you really off, then treat first and test later.

Good luck with it all, but it seems your body is in a repairing or repaired state and performing pretty well.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of people say 'you won't get hypos on metformin'
But that isn't accurate.

Metformin doesn't cause hypos like some D drugs can do, but it doesn't prevent them either.