Off the Metformin: Diary

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can understand all that. I didn't want to take the meds and think I probably could have managed without for a while but GP adamant and I'd already turned down his lovely statin bonus. I gather they have some protective effects for the heart and as that is one of my biggest anxiety areas, I'm thinking I'll stick with them as long as I can.
Keep thinking out loud. Some of the slight rise may well be nothing to do with the metformin and more to do with stress. Having the long summer break wil give you chance to chill and see what is what without other complicating factors.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll be going to see my DN once school's out, to give her an update and have a chat. :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Peacetrain, I've been reading this with interest. I was never put on meds, thankfully, as one of my biggest fears was being able to get off them if they were ever started. But, I digress.

I think you're doing very well, and at one of the most stressful times in the academic year? So, I would debate with you how much you can really conclude from 3 stress and fatigue fuelled weeks of change. If you are seeing your DN in the holidays, have you considered giving it a few weeks of holiday time to see how things settle then? I have read that you still like to work in the hols, but a goodly portion of the work related daily pressures will have gone on holiday too, surely? That might give a more balanced view.

Your May A1c score was excellent, as you know, and realistically, you have some leeway for a modest increase; which you could explain and rationalise, before you would be visiting even the pre-diabetic range. If it goes up, you could see if a few months of stable state off Metformin, a re-reduction could be achieved - if that's what you wanted. I mean, the period leading up to Christmas isn't stressful at all in a school, is it? :confused:

Give yourself a break. You are extremely motivated and capable, so don't spoil that be becoming so rigid in your approach that you potentially erode the feel good feeling that progress brings.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Peacetrain, I've been reading this with interest. I was never put on meds, thankfully, as one of my biggest fears was being able to get off them if they were ever started. But, I digress.

I think you're doing very well, and at one of the most stressful times in the academic year? So, I would debate with you how much you can really conclude from 3 stress and fatigue fuelled weeks of change. If you are seeing your DN in the holidays, have you considered giving it a few weeks of holiday time to see how things settle then? I have read that you still like to work in the hols, but a goodly portion of the work related daily pressures will have gone on holiday too, surely? That might give a more balanced view.

Your May A1c score was excellent, as you know, and realistically, you have some leeway for a modest increase; which you could explain and rationalise, before you would be visiting even the pre-diabetic range. If it goes up, you could see if a few months of stable state off Metformin, a re-reduction could be achieved - if that's what you wanted. I mean, the period leading up to Christmas isn't stressful at all in a school, is it? :confused:

Give yourself a break. You are extremely motivated and capable, so don't spoil that be becoming so rigid in your approach that you potentially erode the feel good feeling that progress brings.
Thanks for that :)

I guess I'm looking for reassurances that I'm on the right road.

Although I'll be going in to school it won't be stressful at all. I'll also be with my grandchildren a bit more, so that always makes me feel good. On 8th August I'll be off to Turkey until 25th. I'll stay with friends in İstanbul then over to the Anatolian side to see more friends. I'll be staying in the NWest, nowhere near the touristy SW, but it will be hot, so that will be interesting as far as bg goes.

I always eat a good diet when in Turkey and in the past have usually lost weight. As long as I stay off most fruit, rice and bread, I'll be fine. One of my friends is T1 and another is vegetarian committed to organic produce. Another friend had gestational diabetes and her mother is T2. All my friends cook from scratch.
A typical breakfast would be cheese, olives, tomatoes, cucumber. Also bread, honey, jam. Sometimes sausage and egg. There's plenty there for me to choose from.

Late evening snacks usually come out in the form of fruit or nuts.

I've already warned my friends about my fast paced walking. There are some lovely marble staircases that I can step up and down on too. One of my friends has a treadmill. I was with her when she bought it for her daughter 3 years ago but it's hardly been used. I'll be able to use that.

Going back to my diabetes journey. I still have 2st 3lb to lose before I reach normal weight for my height. I'd like to lose another 3st but I'll see how it goes. It does mean that there's still some fat to come off and I'm hoping it comes off the liver area.

Thanks again for the advice.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that :)

I guess I'm looking for reassurances that I'm on the right road.

Although I'll be going in to school it won't be stressful at all. I'll also be with my grandchildren a bit more, so that always makes me feel good. On 8th August I'll be off to Turkey until 25th. I'll stay with friends in İstanbul then over to the Anatolian side to see more friends. I'll be staying in the NWest, nowhere near the touristy SW, but it will be hot, so that will be interesting as far as bg goes.

I always eat a good diet when in Turkey and in the past have usually lost weight. As long as I stay off most fruit, rice and bread, I'll be fine. One of my friends is T1 and another is vegetarian committed to organic produce. Another friend had gestational diabetes and her mother is T2. All my friends cook from scratch.
A typical breakfast would be cheese, olives, tomatoes, cucumber. Also bread, honey, jam. Sometimes sausage and egg. There's plenty there for me to choose from.

Late evening snacks usually come out in the form of fruit or nuts.

I've already warned my friends about my fast paced walking. There are some lovely marble staircases that I can step up and down on too. One of my friends has a treadmill. I was with her when she bought it for her daughter 3 years ago but it's hardly been used. I'll be able to use that.

Going back to my diabetes journey. I still have 2st 3lb to lose before I reach normal weight for my height. I'd like to lose another 3st but I'll see how it goes. It does mean that there's still some fat to come off and I'm hoping it comes off the liver area.

Thanks again for the advice.

Without doubt, you're on the right road. But, it's important to enjoy the trip, as well as look forward to the destination; even for journeys we'd rather not have to embark upon.

My only comment about your time in Turkey (which sounds like it will be fab), is to ask you to manage your own expectations relating to the mount, pace and intensity of any exercise; particularly in the early stages of your holiday. Obviously, it will be hot, and that takes it's own toll on our bodies. It takes just a while for our bodies to adapt to the heat and/or humidity, so don't put it under too much pressure, or be disappointed if you can't quite manage the same stats as here in the UK. Your body will likely be working harder whatever you do.

Enjoy your break. It sounds like you deserve it. :watching: <<<<< trendy shades on a sun kissed face.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I realise I'm my own worst enemy sometimes. I easily apportion blame to myself for anything that may go wrong. I have always beaten myself up.

I've always put myself last and it's quite new for me to think of my own well being. I remember my parents asking me aged 12 if I wanted to go on the school skiing trip. I said no. To this day they talk about that. I haven't the heart to tell them that I said no because I thought they couldn't afford it. I would have loved to have gone...

I value everyone's encouragement.

For strangers to help each other out, as they do here, is very touching.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not wishing to hijack the thread (but I already did before :sigh) and definitely not wishing to sabotage Peacetrain's efforts which I think are amazing and heroic, I need to add my experience of going back on the metf (a decision I took as my levels were more erratic than I personally wanted at this early stage in my efforts to control).. My levels on 1500mg a day now are lower, less erratic and I feel happier about that. It's a shame that I obviously need these meds at this stage, but at the moment it seems the best for me.

Took about a week to ten days to get to a less erratic state, slowly increasing the dose.

Look forward to seeing how you progress in your experiment. This thread will be very useful to many people, so well done you.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No problem.

April and may my meter averaged 5.2.

June 5.4
3 weeks off metformin and a week on 1 x 500 mg

I'm trying not to test too much now because I was getting a little obsessed. I'll do a morning reading only until I get more strips (I went meter mad) x

johnnym1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

I have recently been prescribed metformin.

Bit confused re Alcohol. Is drinking alcohol whilst on Metformin a no no? Or can you still drink alcohol whilst on Metformin? Help!

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
It does say in the blurb "not to be taken with alcohol", I'm reliably informed that this means "don't wash the tablets down with alcohol".

I've often thought that if I had the money to open a bar I'd call it "moderation", just for the novelty factor "I'm drinking in moderation"!

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the advice not to be taken with alcohol applies to just about very medicine I've seen. I guess it's because (I think) that alcohol speeds up absorption so you can give yourself a faster higher dose than you expected - sounds good to me! edit: see links below, My understanding was limited/not totally correct.

The best pub name I've seen (here in Stoke) is the Holy Inadequate - and it's a real ale pub! Ahhh real ale, better factor in an off-plan day.

edit: https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/check-...festyle/is-it-ok-to-drink-while-on-medication

http://www.alcoholscreening.org/Learn-More.aspx?topicID=8&articleID=37

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sent home from work yesterday. Burning the candle at both ends at the moment due to busy time of year at work. I was feeling very light headed and had an awful stomach churning feeling and nausea.

Went to the doctor and blood taken to test thyroid. ECG this morning. Awaiting results of both.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Get well soon Peacetrain, fingers crossed for the test results.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fingers crossed for you. At least the school holidays are coming up soon. At the room of offering advice I can't seem to follow, try and make time to do some relaxation and mindfulness practice and breathing exercises.

broxi67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A few weeks ago my 2 x 500 ordinary metformin was reduced to 500 sr. The reduction worked well and kept my bg down.

A couple of weeks ago I saw the nurse for the first time since my HbA1c result of 35. I had been feeling dizzy and the nurse felt I could probably come off the metformin. I was a little hesitant so she suggested I change back to the ordinary metformin so that it just reacted with my evening meal. I've been doing that for a week now and bg levels still about the same.

I forgot to take it with my meal this evening, so I've decided to try without it.

I thought I'd keep a record of my progress here.

As my next HbA1c is not until the end of November I thought it was an ideal opportunity to test the water so to speak. Ha ha it have time to screw it all up and put it right again.

I thought I would try two weeks.

My reading at 9.20pm was. 5.1 which is about the usual level.

ive often thought about reducing my metformin i take 4 x 500 a day my last hba1c was 6.3 any advice gratefully received

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your good wishes. I've just pottered around for the last couple of days and done nothing relating to school . I feel very bad about that but I feel a lot better for having the rest. I'm worrying most about the ECG because the nurse said it looked normal but some blips with the beat. She then said it wasn't for her to interpret and the doctor would be in touch. My own feeling is that it's stress/anxiety. My stomach has stopped the churning and my pulse doesn't feel as though it's racing.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ive often thought about reducing my metformin i take 4 x 500 a day my last hba1c was 6.3 any advice gratefully received
That's an excellent result. Well done! Mine was reduced one at a time because it was felt I was managing very well and possibly the light headed feeling I was getting might be due to too much medication. I'm using this time until my next HbA1c at the end of November, just to see if I can manage. I have an open mind and if I have to return to a small dose then so be it.
You will have to discuss your options with either your nurse or doctor. Everyone is different. Good luck :)