1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Arrived here after watching The Truth About Carbs? Join the Low Carb Program for meal plans & 10 weeks of simple steps into your new lifestyle.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Off the rails

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by dazzeur, Mar 13, 2018.

1. dazzeur

dazzeur Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just here venting at myself. Gone totally off the rails and knew I was just cheating myself but just could never get back to how I should be. I stopped testing, stopped eating right and in the last 2 months I have lost over a stone and a half. I was never massively overweight, usually 13-14 stone and I am about 5'10. I'm now 11 stone 11 and this is the lightest I have been in a good 15 years. Now none of my clothes fit.
    Topping it off I hope to exchange on my first house this week. I have my first baby due in 2 months. I started a new job 5 weeks ago. I know things can be worse and I know I have a lot of things on. Yes they are stressful, but yes they are amazing too.

Anyways, I am seeing the diabetic nurse in two days and I hope to be back on the straight and narrow.

If anyone can help with meal plans and other advice to get back on the right course, please let me know. I'm not looking for sympathy, I know in myself I need to be stronger.

Thanks for reading and listening.

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Expert

Have a look at the Dietdoctor website for some great recipes.

We all wobble at times, chin up.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sue192

Sue192 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wow, you've certainly got a lot going on, @dazzeur! Many congratulations on the new life soon to appear, and also on your house move and new job. There's a positive streak in your post and, as another poster said, wagons are there to climb back onto (a great phrase - wish I could acknowledge it!). Have you had a look at this thread https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-631#post-1724177 Lots of helpful ideas for meal plans etc. I second @Guzzler's suggestion re Dietdoctor - that's a really useful site with lots of information and recipes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jo_the_boat

Jo_the_boat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sometimes when we have lots going on it gets overwhelming and nothing is tackled properly.
    Maybe one way to approach it is by prioritizing.
    Your imminent youngster will need you at your best.
    As you say, exciting but stressful times.
    Best of luck.

5. dazzeur

Update...
    I've seen the diabetic nurse and she wanted me to go on to glicozide (?) But I refused. I'm only on two metformin a day and moving to three for a week and then 4 after that to see if my levels change. I know it's still early and just on to three for 2 days now but still seeing high levels, 12 to 20. I was 16 when diagnosed.
    Also with all the weight loss I've had and that's without trying, the diabetic nurse is worried that I might not be type 2 but more so late onset type 1. Has anyone else had this?
    I'm also feeling like I want to put a little bit of weight on and now struggling and I'm feeling hungry all the time too.
    Drinking lots of water, but should I consider protein shakes?
    I know it's a lot of questions, just trying to get my levels back to normal and be able to eat as well.

6. dazzeur

Also I should add, I'm feeling like I have less energy and struggle to do exercise like I used to. And never seem to get a chance to relax with so much going on in my life.

7. Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

8. dazzeur

Things are starting to look better. Finally got a reading of 7.5. I'm now on 4 metformin a day but hopefully I am not type 1 or 1.5. I still need to up the exercise and continue to eat better and better.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook