Official DVLA guidelines for insulin/driving

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Thanks @diamondnostril

I have seen these before, but I've now copied your text to a note on my phone so that I always have them with me.

Sherlock52

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

Thanks to everybody for taking the time to look.

I've now found what I was looking for . . . it's in the PDF which @GrantGam1337 was pointed to by the DVLA. In Chapter 03 on Diabetes Mellitus it's mentioned that all insulin-treated drivers must follow the information provided in 'Information for drivers with diabetes' which is given in the Appendix. In Appendix D on Page 114 you find this one-pager, labelled 'DIABINF'. It's implied that this printed page is sent to every insulin-treated driver.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/assessing-fitness-to-drive-a-guide-for-medical-professionals

I've copy-and-pasted info from the DIABINF document below.

Regards :)
Antony

DRIVERS WITH INSULIN TREATED DIABETES ARE ADVISED TO TAKE THE FOLLOWING PRECAUTIONS

 You should always carry your glucose meter and blood glucose strips with you. You should check your blood
glucose no more than 2 hours before the start of the first journey and every two hours whilst you are driving.

If driving multiple short journeys, you do not necessarily need to test before each additional journey as long as
you test every 2 hours while driving. More frequent testing may be required if for any reason there is a greater
risk of hypoglycaemia for example after physical activity or altered meal routine. The intention is to ensure
that blood glucose is always above 5.0mmol/l while driving.

 In each case if your blood glucose is 5.0mmol/l or less, take a snack. If lt is less than 4.0mmol/l or you feel hypoglycaemic, do not drive.

 If hypoglycaemia develops while driving, stop the vehicle as soon as possible.

 You should switch off the engine, remove the keys from the ignition and move from the driver’s seat.

 You should not start driving until 45 minutes after blood glucose has returned to normal (confirmed by
measuing blood glucose). It takes up to 45 minutes for the brain to recover fully.

 Always keep an emergency supply of fast-acting carbohydrate such as glucose tablets or sweets within easy
reach in the vehicle.

 You should carry personal identification to show that you have diabetes in case of injury in a road traffic
accident.

 Particular care should be taken during changes of insulin regimens, changes of lifestyle, exercise, travel and
pregnancy.

 You must take regular meals, snacks and rest periods on long journeys. Always avoid alcohol.
This is what I understand and what seems logical....the issue
Hi all,

Thanks to everybody for taking the time to look.

I've now found what I was looking for . . . it's in the PDF which @GrantGam1337 was pointed to by the DVLA. In Chapter 03 on Diabetes Mellitus it's mentioned that all insulin-treated drivers must follow the information provided in 'Information for drivers with diabetes' which is given in the Appendix. In Appendix D on Page 114 you find this one-pager, labelled 'DIABINF'. It's implied that this printed page is sent to every insulin-treated driver.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/assessing-fitness-to-drive-a-guide-for-medical-professionals

I've copy-and-pasted info from the DIABINF document below.

Regards :)
Antony

DRIVERS WITH INSULIN TREATED DIABETES ARE ADVISED TO TAKE THE FOLLOWING PRECAUTIONS

 You should always carry your glucose meter and blood glucose strips with you. You should check your blood
glucose no more than 2 hours before the start of the first journey and every two hours whilst you are driving.

If driving multiple short journeys, you do not necessarily need to test before each additional journey as long as
you test every 2 hours while driving. More frequent testing may be required if for any reason there is a greater
risk of hypoglycaemia for example after physical activity or altered meal routine. The intention is to ensure
that blood glucose is always above 5.0mmol/l while driving.

 In each case if your blood glucose is 5.0mmol/l or less, take a snack. If lt is less than 4.0mmol/l or you feel hypoglycaemic, do not drive.

 If hypoglycaemia develops while driving, stop the vehicle as soon as possible.

 You should switch off the engine, remove the keys from the ignition and move from the driver’s seat.

 You should not start driving until 45 minutes after blood glucose has returned to normal (confirmed by
measuing blood glucose). It takes up to 45 minutes for the brain to recover fully.

 Always keep an emergency supply of fast-acting carbohydrate such as glucose tablets or sweets within easy
reach in the vehicle.

 You should carry personal identification to show that you have diabetes in case of injury in a road traffic
accident.

 Particular care should be taken during changes of insulin regimens, changes of lifestyle, exercise, travel and
pregnancy.

 You must take regular meals, snacks and rest periods on long journeys. Always avoid alcohol.