1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Officially team 1.5

Discussion in 'Type 1.5/LADA Diabetes' started by Marie4james, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Marie4james

Marie4james LADA · Active Member

Hi everyone! I had my endo app this morning and she was very confident in a type 1 diagnosis.

I have been changed from Lantus to Levimir because of dropping at night and high during the day, carb counting with Novorapid and having a trial of Metformin.

It’s taken over 10 years to get here having previously diagnosed as T2 with lots of raised eyebrows from Drs as my BMI is 21. I had GD diabetes 12 years ago which was controlled with a lot of insulin.

I did what I could as a diagnosed T2 with loads of help from this forum (thank you!) and I believe that my LC diet may have been what held me for all those years.

Gliclazide and LC just wasn’t up to the job any more, so here we are! Feeling ok as I have already done the Bertie course last week and working my way through ‘think like a pancreas’. I’m pretty hopeful that I can manage this.

Thanks for your support
    Marie

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. JMoli

JMoli LADA · Well-Known Member

Hi Marie, it sounds like you have a really positive attitude - that’s so great.
    It does appear that quite a few people are misdiagnosed reading through the forums, and GPs wrongly assume T1 is a childhood disease x

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Providence 62

Providence 62 LADA · Well-Known Member

Just been put onto a similar regime myself @Marie4james - it's been a gradual (and at times very rocky) change from a T2 diagnosis in 2015 to 1.5 now. I hope it all works out well for you, it sounds like you have a great attitude.

P62

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Marie4james

Thank you! Looking through the forums it does seem to be a shockingly high amount who are mis-diagnosed until crisis point is reached.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Marie4james

It feels like a lot of trial and error doesn’t it?! Are you also on Metformin? I was curious as to how T1 are responding on that. I was always on Gliclazide.

6. Providence 62

Providence 62 LADA · Well-Known Member

Hello Marie,

No, I am not on Metformin it's a long story, but I started out on Metformin in 2015 which only had a limited amount of success but had the drawback of appalling tummy troubles (I shall spare you the details!). Then I got put on canagliflozin, it didn't even touch my sugars, I was still getting 10s and 11s most mornings. Glicazide was added, again, very little effect. Finally I was tried on Victoza, appalling GI problems and again very little effect. I had to bang on the table a bit with my GP and I was finally put on to insulin. I was using Lantus on its own. That went well for a while and over the last 3 months my sugars started creeping up again despite big doses of Lantus. So finally I have been prescribed the fast acting as well. I have an appointment with the consultant at the hospital in the offing for the necessary tests. It's been a long and very difficult process. I think that the doc saw a lady in her 50s who was overweight and immediately thought T2. I could get very cross about it but I won't

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook