Oh sugar!!!!!!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It must be nearing twenty years since I started avoiding sugar and sugary foods.
So today, I found out the hard way why!

I was in work and making a brew, I had to step out, so I asked a work colleague to just pour the hot water in my cup and thanked him.
I returned to a steaming cup of strong black tea, I just put the cup to my mouth and took a rather large mouthful of the hot beverage. To my surprise it tasted absolutely disgusting! It was so ghastly and only lucozade tasted worse.
I immediately ran to the sink and spat the lot except a small amount out into the sink, I gagged and couldn't breathe, I was hacking and coughing, convulsions, trying to throw up, my temperature went through the roof, the small amount of tea that I had swallowed came back up and my throat constricted and I was breathing really hard, panting, panicking, sweating. I ran the cold tap, one of the lads filled a cup and sat me down, I tried to drink the water but all I could do was swill my mouth and coughing and spluttering, I rinsed my mouth out.
It took about five minutes until I could breathe properly. I did manage to drink some water. I calmed down. My temperature cooled off as I tried to relax.
I had a hyper, so I went for a walk, to cool off, I was a little unsteady but it helped. I'm still coughing!
I didn't hypo, yet, as I've just ate, a few scraps of roast gammon and a tomato. I believe that I'm okay now.

It just shows how careful you have to be.

The poor lad couldn't apologise more than he did and the other work colleagues looked after me, making sure I was okay.

I have never had a reaction like that before, it is usually, you get warning that something going on with symptoms, I think I have a real allergy with sugar, not just an intolerance.
But I don't want to test it!
It was awful and I can't get that taste off my palette and my taste buds are ruined!

Bloody sugar!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am now wanting to know the result of giving your sugar in a way that prevents your mind knowing you are getting it......

(Was is a stress response to what your mind expected the sugar to do to your body?)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am now wanting to know the result of giving your sugar in a way that prevents your mind knowing you are getting it......

(Was is a stress response to what your mind expected the sugar to do to your body?)

I'm not sure but the response was immediate and I can only go on my experience with non sugar sweet things like artificial sweeteners. The wife has sweeteners in her tea and I have mistakenly put them in my tea, even though it was horrid and tasted like really yuk!
But it was just the taste, not a bad reaction like I had, maybe it was psychologically reactive response. But I wouldn't want to test out any theories! (No way!)

Yuk!

The taste has clung to my palette such as sprouts would! (Double yuk!)