OK HERE S A QUESTION NO ONE WILL BE ABLE TO ANSWER....

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ah, we'll have a look - that's from the old forum.. will get on the case!

Reactions: 2 people
I

itp3asso

OK . New question . As you know orediabetic apparently GP August bloods say 48.7 and trigger isn 48.8 so pretty nailed on I ll be full T2 at my next bloods in early Oct.....

I ve started reading a lot if your site forums etc and I ve also strated eating low carb diet which todate ( two weeks) has had a very positive effect less tired more energy no need to sleep during day only at night etc.

One problem . Told not to eat pasta rice ravioli potaties bread etc plus if course nil sweet stuff all of which I have cut out .

Bread is probkem as have been eating this since childhood. Switched to crackers as substitute . Established they also high carb. I need bread or similar to act as " blotting oaper" to soak up gravy etc and importantly I am sure it provides roughage as I apparently must not even eat high carb porridge.(!)

Apart from difficult to get whole grain can anyone suggest a bread substitute which is not high carb e g naan bread tacos bread or other completely different simikar food as substitute?? Thanks

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK . New question . As you know orediabetic apparently GP August bloods say 48.7 and trigger isn 48.8 so pretty nailed on I ll be full T2 at my next bloods in early Oct.....

I ve started reading a lot if your site forums etc and I ve also strated eating low carb diet which todate ( two weeks) has had a very positive effect less tired more energy no need to sleep during day only at night etc.

One problem . Told not to eat pasta rice ravioli potaties bread etc plus if course nil sweet stuff all of which I have cut out .

Bread is probkem as have been eating this since childhood. Switched to crackers as substitute . Established they also high carb. I need bread or similar to act as " blotting oaper" to soak up gravy etc and importantly I am sure it provides roughage as I apparently must not even eat high carb porridge.(!)

Apart from difficult to get whole grain can anyone suggest a bread substitute which is not high carb e g naan bread tacos bread or other completely different simikar food as substitute?? Thanks

There are 2 types of bread I can manage to eat now. Lidl high protein rolls and Livlife bread which I buy from Waitrose. The rolls from Lidl are about 10 carbs each roll, maybe slightly less as they now seem to be a little bit smaller than they were. The livlife is 3.8 carbs per slice. I would suggest testing to see if you can manage small quantities. Either a slice of the bread or half a roll. We are all different so that is why I would suggest testing.

I

itp3asso

There are 2 types of bread I can manage to eat now. Lidl high protein rolls and Livlife bread which I buy from Waitrose. The rolls from Lidl are about 10 carbs each roll, maybe slightly less as they now seem to be a little bit smaller than they were. The livlife is 3.8 carbs per slice. I would suggest testing to see if you can manage small quantities. Either a slice of the bread or half a roll. We are all different so that is why I would suggest testing.

Thanks. How many rolls on average do you consume permeal. One two more? I would personally envision say two per meal if they agree with me . I will ask Lidl for these but of course bread is sold loose by them ( no wrapping ingredients text) so how did you establish the carb content ?

C

catherinecherub

Thanks. How many rolls on average do you consume permeal. One two more? I would personally envision say two per meal if they agree with me . I will ask Lidl for these but of course bread is sold loose by them ( no wrapping ingredients text) so how did you establish the carb content ?
A review on the Lidl rolls plus nutritional information.
http://nuutrii.com/article/lidl-protein-bread-rolls-review
You could also try Burgen Soya and Linseed bread, sold in most major supermarkets.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You need to test to see if bread agrees with you. Lidl rolls - I think it says on their web site how many carbs they are. Be warned they are very filling, you may be able to manage 1. Think most of us were brought up on bread as kids, its a staple, staff of life. Think that slogan was thought up by farmers. To put it simply, I'm a seamstress and knitter, I need my eyes to do my job. Giving up bread isn't hard when you think of it like that.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I only found these when I had already established quite good control over my diabetes. For a while I had to cut out all bread. I started with half a Lidl roll. My GP thought I had taken my weight loss too far (BMI 19.6) and he said I needed to put on weight. At that point I started eating a whole roll. Do be aware that they are very high in calories so not ideal if you need to lose weight. Someone has posted a link to the nutritional information.

I

itp3asso

Thsnks . It seems one way or the other there is no bread substitute either because too fattenjng or too high carb!

What aboout okd fashioned Water Biscuits if they re still available presumably not as they are
fkavourless and thus do not sell.......

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You say you need bread to mop up gravy? Gravy is thickened with flour, which is very carby, or if you buy granules they are also heavy in carbs. Bisto gravy is one pleasure I have had to forego apart from a tiny blob on my plate. You could make your own with meat juices, but no flour. I just put butter on my veggies these days.

Lidl high protein rolls are perfect, but very filling. You would not need more than one.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
or if you buy granules they are also heavy in carbs.

The gravy granules we buy has 3.1g of carbs per 100ml, not at all heavy on the carbs unless you absolutely smother your food with it.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The gravy granules we buy has 3.1g of carbs per 100ml, not at all heavy on the carbs unless you absolutely smother your food with it.
I find 50ml is enough to coat my food I count it as 2g carb cause I don't do anything by halfs lol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I find 50ml is enough to coat my food I count it as 2g carb cause I don't do anything by halfs lol

50ml is a very small blob!

It really does spike me - anything with flour in does the same. That is clearly my nemesis.

I

itp3asso

You say you need bread to mop up gravy? Gravy is thickened with flour, which is very carby, or if you buy granules they are also heavy in carbs. Bisto gravy is one pleasure I have had to forego apart from a tiny blob on my plate. You could make your own with meat juices, but no flour. I just put butter on my veggies these days.

Lidl high protein rolls are perfect, but very filling. You would not need more than one.

I was generalising . If you place tomatoes mushrooms onions etc plus either raw meat or raw chicken plus drop of olive oil in a small casserole and oven cook for one hour it naturally generates its own syrup . It s that residue I need to mop up .... with bread or ( now!) similar

mikecu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I kniw I cannot drink bottled or draught lager or beer with prediab or indeed possibly progressing to fullblown Type 2.. But..... what about draught Guinnness? Nibody knows the secret formula and it kept me operative for 35 years on a daily intake with no sick leave, so who s to say the secret Irish ingredients will not be magically beneficisl even to this condition?

Or do I have to forego that pleasure also ??
Hi,
alcohol, especially in spirit form, lowers the blood sugar. Some say that the alcohol in lager, or beer, counteracts the sugar content, but I'm not too sure about how much. Friends of mine with your condition drink beer and lager, but they also watch what they eat and do exercise, mainly walking.

I

itp3asso

Hi,
alcohol, especially in spirit form, lowers the blood sugar. Some say that the alcohol in lager, or beer, counteracts the sugar content, but I'm not too sure about how much. Friends of mine with your condition drink beer and lager, but they also watch what they eat and do exercise, mainly walking.

Oh so that s good isn t it? If spirits lower the blood sugar content then surely a daily intake of
say scotch and much water would not go amiss?
Let s forget the Guiness as it is by definition an unknown.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was generalising . If you place tomatoes mushrooms onions etc plus either raw meat or raw chicken plus drop of olive oil in a small casserole and oven cook for one hour it naturally generates its own syrup . It s that residue I need to mop up .... with bread or ( now!) similar

How about if you forget the bread, or other substitute, and just use a spoon .... ;)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Unless you find a low carb beer (there are some) then beers are to be avoided. They are known as liquid bread. Maybe your friends have meds to help them?