Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
No - its a blend of olive and rapeseed oil. I've tried it and thought it made food I cooked in it taste off.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't really know because it never got the chance, i cooked an omelette in it and it tasted so horrible that i threw my food and the oil in the bin. What was strange is that my dogs didn't like that omelette either and there's not much they won't eat.

charlie000

I don't really know because it never got the chance, i cooked an omelette in it and it tasted so horrible that i threw my food and the oil in the bin. What was strange is that my dogs didn't like that omelette either and there's not much they won't eat.
Yes, my food tasted awful. I dunno how Tesco and likes sell so much of it? Ghee is a lot better.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes, I use ghee - I get huge tins of it reasonably cheaply (compared to Tesco or Sainsbury's) from a lovely Turkish supermarket in Sheffield which is also great for spices. I really recommend exploring Asian or other ethnic food shops if you have one nearby.

We also use unsalted butter, olive oil, lard, dripping and goose or duck fat. My absolute favourite is bacon fat (made from rendering down those big packs of fatty cooking bacon. They all add different flavours and make low carbing more interesting.

Reactions: Guzzler

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Wow! It's as bad as seed oil. Note to self, if it ain't solid don't use it (except for duck/goose fat of course oh, and coconut oil).

I forgot about coconut oil - I love that, too. (My coconut oil is solid.)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I forgot about coconut oil - I love that, too. (My coconut oil is solid.)

Mine too. I wonder why they call it an oil? I think it is high in monounsaturates like the goose/duck fat which (at home) is semi liquid in the cupboard and solid in the fridge but the coconut oil is very solid even in the cupboard.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Olive pomace oil is the oil that is chemically extracted from the pulp that is left after cold-pressing of olives to make olive oil. It can't just be sold as pure olive oil. It doesn't sound as though it tastes very good!

charlie000

Yes, I use ghee - I get huge tins of it reasonably cheaply (compared to Tesco or Sainsbury's) from a lovely Turkish supermarket in Sheffield which is also great for spices. I really recommend exploring Asian or other ethnic food shops if you have one nearby.

We also use unsalted butter, olive oil, lard, dripping and goose or duck fat. My absolute favourite is bacon fat (made from rendering down those big packs of fatty cooking bacon. They all add different flavours and make low carbing more interesting.

Can you tell me which Ghee you use the brand name

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's called Plough Butter Ghee. It's in a green and gold tin.