Olives for a snack

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
The pitted ones are carb free (according to Collins GemCarb Counter) I eat them until I've had enough, lol. Can't help you with the stuffed ones, sorry :) You could Google and find out for yourself ;)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Depends on your diet.
I count calories, so my limit depends on how many calories I have from them.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Green Olives are lower carb than black olives... I think it's something like 4g of carb per 100g for green, and 6g per 100g for black.
I've tried several times to find out why (as I love black olives). I'm guessing that it's something to do with the processing of black olives - they aren't black naturally, but are processed with iron which turns them black.

A

AnnieC

Green Olives are lower carb than black olives... I think it's something like 4g of carb per 100g for green, and 6g per 100g for black.
I've tried several times to find out why (as I love black olives). I'm guessing that it's something to do with the processing of black olives - they aren't black naturally, but are processed with iron which turns them black.

No difference between green and black olives, green ones are usually picked before they ripen and black /purple ones are the riper fruit no proccessing to turn them black . On some trees they go black almost straight away while on others some stay green but they are still the same but flavour may vary with the ripeness of the olives

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
A

AnnieC

What's the maximum amount of olives you're allowed per meal?
For me no limit once I start I can't stop eating them lol actually they are really good for you but would not know what the recommended amount would be for low carbers

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No difference between green and black olives, green ones are usually picked before they ripen and black /purple ones are the riper fruit no proccessing to turn them black . On some trees they go black almost straight away while on others some stay green but they are still the same but flavour may vary with the ripeness of the olives

I have been duped by a channel 4 show! On Food Unwrapped they went extensively into the processing of olives. They said that ripe olives are purple, and that when olives are processed they are put through a process using ferrous gluconate which causes them to turn black and giving them the distinctive iron taste. Have I been had? Lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As far as I know the only processing required for olives is that they be cured in brine for about 6 weeks prior to eating, same process for green and black olives. They are very unpalatable unless they have been cured first. Of course some manufacturers will probably add some hideous chemicals in the mix in the name of profitability and shelf life.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I thought they pickled black olives in a ferrous solution.

A

AnnieC

The ones in jars are usually in brine so more like pickles the longer they are in it. I prefer the loose ones that most supermarkets sell and they are in olive oil I have also bought some in a tub called semi dry olives green and black they have just a hint of oil

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All olives are cured in brine initially as this get rids of the incredible bitterness, it has to be changed quite frequently as is gets a bit scummy, then are either stored in clean brine or in olive oil. I suppose some styles might add ferrous solution but it's not necessary as far as I know, unless it's for a specific type of olive?

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
All olives are cured in brine initially as this get rids of the incredible bitterness, it has to be changed quite frequently as is gets a bit scummy, then are either stored in clean brine or in olive oil. I suppose some styles might add ferrous solution but it's not necessary as far as I know, unless it's for a specific type of olive?

Just done some research as this was bugging me... You are right. Olives are brined in a mixture of salt water and lye to make them palatable. From there on green and purple olives are natural. Black olives are then made by pumping oxygen through the mixtures to force ripen them even further. Finally they are put in a ferrous gluconate solution which turns them even blacker and fixes the colour.

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my neighbours here in Spain have been processing the olives all wrong then!!! All we do here, for green, if big, slit the skins, if small just leave them. Put them in clean water, nothing else, change daily, untill the bitter taste has gone. Then mix water, white wine vinegar, garlic, herbs of your choice (normally thyme and another I cannot remember the name,grows wild here) chopped green peppers and chopped carrots.......all to taste, no set 100ml of this and 125 of that etc. The black olives are done exactly the same way. This is in the home though, I guess factory ones will be different. I will take a look at the local ones in the supermarket and see what they have added.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just done some research as this was bugging me... You are right. Olives are brined in a mixture of salt water and lye to make them palatable. From there on green and purple olives are natural. Black olives are then made by pumping oxygen through the mixtures to force ripen them even further. Finally they are put in a ferrous gluconate solution which turns them even blacker and fixes the colour.

Now I know why I prefer the green ones! My husband however prefers the black and refuses to buy the green. I actually assumed that black ones were black because they are a variety that came in that colour

First thing I do when I open a jar of black ones in brine is tip them out, drain them, and dump them back into olive oil. It's a bit psychological I know but I always feel they're better in their "natural environment"! :p

Robbity

Mauser792

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Idiots
O`h now you've hit the spot, small plain green Olives "yum"
I love them and have loads of them with a wholemeal wrap as a snack.
HbA1c 40
1x500mg Met a day before evening meal

Blanchoid

That is sort of what I just read, American olives are treated with a load of rubbish, but that is the Americans for you! They voted Trump in for crying out loud, I rest my case!

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is sort of what I just read, American olives are treated with a load of rubbish, but that is the Americans for you! They voted Trump in for crying out loud, I rest my case!

Well, actually no, “we” did not. Or rather 53.9% of the voting public did not. It is correct to say we collectively elected him but not that we all voted for him. And whenever my UK colleagues start up about it, I just mention Brexit :)

I have no idea where that leaves the humble olive, other than sill tasty.