1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Omeprazole capsules

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Tracie1212, Nov 28, 2018.

1. SimonCrox

SimonCrox · Well-Known Member

The SPC for omeprazole doesn't mention problems with low glucose. Commonest side effects in practice are diarrhoea, and it might give folk more wind. If it is causing problems, then ranitidine may be an alternative - an older drug which is not quite as good at acid reduction, but less side effects. Swings and roundabouts.
    Best wishes

2. derry60

derry60 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I am on Asprin so have to have them, to protect my tummy. I have been taking them now for 14 years and have never had any problems with Omeprazole either

3. Tracie1212

Tracie1212 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks all for your replies.

I have spoken to pharmacy and purchased a pack of Ranitidine. Tried taking with water they are very bitter tasting I find. Pharmacy said they are smaller dose than the other med. I had a better night's sleep in between hypo prevention. I still drop 10 levels each night.

Have moved Tresiba to earlier in day currently 1.30pm starting to feel whatever time I take will still experience night lows.

Wondering with Tresiba overlap profile whether I should be taking at different times of day. Really hard trying to understand insulin behaviour pattern..

Thanks

4. DAC1

DAC1 Type 1 · Member

I've been taking Omeprazole for about 8 years and never experienced any problems with my type 1 diabetes.

5. Bridie9408

Bridie9408 · Well-Known Member

Hi have been taking omeprazole for years am type 1diabetic never any problems.

6. Gloucestergirl

Gloucestergirl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There could be interactions with other medication you are taking. Several years ago I was put onto Omeprazole for the constant heartburn I was getting and it worked for a few months and then didn't make any difference. I was getting many short bouts of heartburn throughout the day, 20 or more of dry burning with no acid reflux and eventually had an endoscopy where it was found that I had gastritis and oesophagitis. For several years I had been taking an osteoporosis drug (Alendronic Acid) that you have to take once a week and sit up for half an hour after taking it with a full glass of water. After I very easily broke my femur I was told it was caused by the alendronic acid and I was not to take it again and discovered that stopping it also stopped the heartburn! While I was taking both medications I was also taking calcium tablets to help with my bones but read that in order to absorb the calcium you need stomach acid and what was Omeprazole doing - it was suppressing the stomach acid, meaning that taking the calcium was a waste of time. I have had diabetes since 1995 and went from Metformin to insulin but didn't find that Omeprazole affected my sugar levels and so far have given up Metformin, Omeprazole and Alendronic Acid and I feel better for it so it might be worth reviewing what other medication you might be taking to see if there are any problems with them.

7. Tracie1212

Tracie1212 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks all.

I started taking iron tablets same day but don't think that would make levels drop Apart from acid reflux meds use Novorapid and Tresiba insulins.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook