Omeprazole capsules

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi is anyone taking Omeprazole capsules and how are you getting on with them?

Prescribed today for acid reflux pharmacy said they slow down indigestion. I asked if would affect diabetes type 1 he said not.

I am however concerned that as I have night time hypos this could delay hypo treatment Ive taken one but yet another thing to worry about overnight.

Thanks

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No they don't slow down digestion they are a stronger form of antacid as far as I understand, don't worry about overnight hypos - also try something like fruit juice its the quickest of the lot I find.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No idea in relation to type 1 but omprezole does slow digestion in that it reduces the available acid in the stomach with which to digest food on the assumption your problems are being caused by too much of it. I was on it off and on for 4 years as a misdiagnosis of reflux (it was actually gallstones). It’s now recommended any course of it is short term until it resolves or investigations confirm the cause. Long term, like anything, it has its own issues and needs to be worthwhile in light of them.

Edited to add : I’m referring to things like magnesium and b12 absorption and bone health as potential long term consequences of unnecessary use. Many cases of reflux are actually caused by LOW acid and whilst these solve the short term symptoms it doesn’t address the actual cause and in fact can make things worse in some cases. Obviously there are cases where it is necessary and helpful too. Be sure you are in the right group is my point as it’s my belief it’s too widely used without being certain of the actual problem.

Last edited:

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks both. My levels started to drop an hour after taking new meds didn't need novorapid tonight. Food peak took longer and dropped faster, felt shaky eventually ended up having a quarter of one slice wholegrain bread with tiny bit of jam.

Doc has given me one months supply. I took the first dose at 4pm today would like to take the next tomorrow morning. Will check with pharmacy if this is OK.

I have juice on standby I over used on previous hypos .. will use if needed .

How the other half live!!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've also been on Omeprazole for a number of years, sometimes food does seem to digest slowly, but other times I can see it rocketing upwards on my libre less than 30 mins after eating

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your replies we all have different experiences. Think I am sensitive to any change of medication. I started taking iron tablets yesterday I guess they wouldn't have any affect on levels. Hope to get some rest tonight

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on esomeprazole (very similar) for years for reflux with no issues regards to blood glucose.

Jon1

I have been on Omeprazole 30 mg daily since 2002 due to drugs I had to take after major spinal surgery. If I come off it or reduce to 15 mg daily I get acid indigestion, burnt oesophagus etc.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I used to take Omazaprole due to my diabetes medicine causing bloating and upset stomach. The Omazaprole didn’t give me any problems but I don’t think it stopped them either. I still had bad bloating and upset stomachs.
I tried to manage by diabetes with just diet. Sadly that didn’t work but I noticed no diabetes tablets no upset stomach and no need for Omazaprole.
I am now taking gliclazide (past week) and doing low carb (strictly) with success at the moment. I am type 2
I think you will be ok with them and good luck

LucyL 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on One Omeprazole at night with my main meal. I have been on them for years since suffering with gall stones and acid reflux. I did wonder if they are the reason I had no problems when starting Metformin in January.

D

Deleted member 444941

I am type 1, with heart problems and take a large selection of meds for pain and heart. I have been on 20mg capsules of omeprazole for a number of years, with no side effects whatsoever. Like most of us, I look for reasons for fluctuations in control. but have found non I could say were caused by omeprazole. Live life to the full and keep enjoying it.

Jill71

Prescribed today for acid reflux pharmacy said they slow down indigestion. I asked if would affect diabetes type 1 he said not.

I am however concerned that as I have night time hypos this could delay hypo treatment Ive taken one but yet another thing to worry about overnight.

Thanks

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I agree with @Engineer88 entirely. Pancreas transplant patients are put on Omeprazole immediately to reduce stomach acid. This would particularly affect the breakdown of complex carbs. Before the transplant I found the most effective treatment for hypos was pineapple juice. Whatever the fruit juice, it is fruit sugar in solution and therefore passes through to the small intestine far quicker than e.g. malt loaf. Therefore the effects of Omeprazole would be negligible. I hope @Tracie1212 sleeps well tonight!

jeff1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thanks

jeff1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I had that medication for acid reflux as I used to throw up around 4am most days. It worked really well with no implications for my diabetes. Good luck.

ScottBASE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been on 40 mg for more years than I can remember doesn’t effect sugar levels and I try not to eat after 2100 seems to help