richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Hi all
Been on omni 5 now for around 3weeks approx. Don't like it much, but now wondering if I am becoming insulin resistant. After 58yrs type 1. I have read some pre bolus the novo rapid by 30mins. I been pre for 30mins. But just tried 25mins. Which slightly better. Will try 30min next. But thinking insulin not working so good. Getting a bit worried as my DSN now on holiday till Jan 12th and so on my own. Guess next stage is to eat no carbs

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Just had a long walk. This brought levels down. Then threw away the nice evening meal my wife cooked and ate low carb. Looks like this is the only way with omnipod 5. I was better on injections. The inventer must not be pleased. Because no good for me. What I can't understand is why is it learning to get worse.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear your having issues. I've been IDD for around 53 years and have found that I now need longer cannula's/needles. Are Omnipod 5's a fixed length or can you order them with a longer version ?. Also what are your BG's before you pre-bolus.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all
Been on omni 5 now for around 3weeks approx. Don't like it much, but now wondering if I am becoming insulin resistant. After 58yrs type 1. I have read some pre bolus the novo rapid by 30mins. I been pre for 30mins. But just tried 25mins. Which slightly better. Will try 30min next. But thinking insulin not working so good. Getting a bit worried as my DSN now on holiday till Jan 12th and so on my own. Guess next stage is to eat no carbs
I would suggest that between now and 12th January you could do some fasting, in case your basal requirements need adjusting. My basal requirements need to be increased from time to time, at least once a year. When I fast, I finger-prick test every hour and write readings on a spreadsheet, so that the DSN has something to work on when she re-sets the basal rates. I try to fast for 12-hour stretches, but occasionally manage 24-hours on one go. (I rely on Dexcom readings during the night.) Of course you have to abort any testing if you have a virus. However, you will have time to have several attempts at fasting before your DSN returns. I guess you have had guidelines from the DSN.
As Chas C says, you may need longer cannulas, but your basal requirements may have also changed.

Last edited:

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I would suggest that between now and 12th January you could do some fasting, in case your basal requirements need adjusting. My basal requirements need to be increased from time to time, at least once a year. When I fast, I finger-prick test every hour and write readings on a spreadsheet, so that the DSN has something to work on when she re-sets the basal rates. I try to fast for 12-hour stretches, but occasionally manage 24-hours on one go. (I rely on Dexcom readings during the night.) Of course you have to abort any testing if you have a virus. However, you will have time to have several attempts at fasting before your DSN returns. I guess you have had guidelines from the DSN.
As Chas C says, you may need longer cannulas, but your basal requirements may have also changed.
The basal is supposed to self adjust with omni 5. But I havefasted in morning as I ate nothing but sugar went up from 8.6 to 13 ish . Yet the levels on the 5 are supposed to be directed by my target of 6.7.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The basal is supposed to self adjust with omni 5. But I havefasted in morning as I ate nothing but sugar went up from 8.6 to 13 ish . Yet the levels on the 5 are supposed to be directed by my target of 6.7.
I am trying to understand this. How soon is it supposed to self-udjust basal? Say, if you eat exactly the same amount of carbs for the next 24-hours, and fast exactly for the same hours, will it have adjusted the basal so that your readings will stay within your target of 6.7?

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I am trying to understand this. How soon is it supposed to self-udjust basal? Say, if you eat exactly the same amount of carbs for the next 24-hours, and fast exactly for the same hours, will it have adjusted the basal so that your readings will stay within your target of 6.7?
Not sure, but there is a target, which it seems to ignore mostly. What it seems to do is gives micro boluses. This happens most of the time like, every 5mins. But they are small like 0, .05, .1, .15. But doesn't go higher than that. Also this adds onto the IOB total. The problem with this is it takes a long time for the required insulin to go in. It's no where near as effective in keeping levels down, as the rate of level going up beats the insulin. But if I switch it to manual and put extra basil in over an hour, it quickly takes control. I then shut it off when necessary.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not sure, but there is a target, which it seems to ignore mostly. What it seems to do is gives micro boluses. This happens most of the time like, every 5mins. But they are small like 0, .05, .1, .15. But doesn't go higher than that. Also this adds onto the IOB total. The problem with this is it takes a long time for the required insulin to go in. It's no where near as effective in keeping levels down, as the rate of level going up beats the insulin. But if I switch it to manual and put extra basil in over an hour, it quickly takes control. I then shut it off when necessary.
That does sound frustrating. I am on a different pump: t:slim X2, but I have noticed that the any pump-instigated corrections seem to take long time to work.

• Agree
Reactions: Hopeful34

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I looked into the Omni 5 setting and you do need to set the basal profile like I do for a t:slim. Please take a look and make sure you basal profile is correct. It has 7 basal profiles and 24 time slots per profile so you can have an hourly setting for each profile if you want - these are not target but delivery settings.

Reactions: ElenaP

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
That does sound frustrating. I am on a different pump: t:slim X2, but I have noticed that the any pump-instigated corrections seem to take long time to work.
That's interesting as I was once offered the T slim. So maybe this is not perfect either.
A few years ago I was on a basic tubed pump "Animas" . I liked that pump. It just worked. It did very occasionally do a funny but was easy to put right. I would swap this 5 for that.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
My basal prog is quite good. The problem is on auto it does not follow it at all. It deliberately lowers it a lot to get equal ratios of bolus/basal. This sends my levels high and it tries to correct by giving tiny boluses which are nowhere near enough resulting in high levels. My targets seem ignored.

RD02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had virtually the same situation. What resolved it for me was while in auto, do a bolus correction. From this the system learns and will be updated at the next pod change.