Omnipod 5 on NHS

Saka

Just wondering if anyone on here has been approved for the Omnipod 5 hybrid closed loop system and how "easily" you were prescribed it.

I know two people whose doctors happily put them on it, even though neither of them met the NICE guidelines for blood glucose control. I certainly don't meet the NICE guidelines but after hearing of the two people being given the green light, I'm hoping when I see my doctor later this year he'll give me the green light.
FWIW, I'm based in Newcastle.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Saka You're best asking your team about availability as it will vary from hospital to hospital depending on budget. Are you seeing your local GP or the consultant at your hospital ?

• Agree
Reactions: In Response

Saka

I see a doctor at the hospital, am due there in October. I'm hopeful, given the anecdotal evidence from two others that have been approved, that I'll be approved for it. I was just curious what others' experiences had been like thus far.

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ah ok - when you said how easily people have been prescribed it I was unsure if you meant availability ! I know someone who uses it but she's not on the forum, hopefully others can respond.

Reactions: wendy2407

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Omnipod 5 can still be used stand alone like the tandem does…. So just because someone is approved the omnipod 5 doesn’t mean that have been approved the cgm to go with it which has different criteria to the pump

Many get the tandem without the cgm, so again this is something down to your care team and funds available to them

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just (12 days back) moved over from the Dash to OP5 and self fund the Dexcom G6 but have been informed that in the 'not to distant future' the OP5 will be compatible with the Freestyle Libre 2 or 3. Must say that so far my monthly costs for the G6 is money very well spent!!! I have found the OP5 system with the CGM if fantastic!! - the system does take a few pods to learn your basal requirements and now on my 5th pod am finding out how off my initial basal needs have been and now need to address my ICR's and sensitivity. With that said, right from day one the system has kept me perfectly at near my target of 6.1 mmol when there has been no IOB and overnight!. Having 11 nights uninterrupted sleeping the past 6-7 years ... wow... feel so good!!!. Don't get me wrong the system is not perfect at the moment as there is a period of learning - ie the system needs time to fully learn my insulin needs and I need time to learn how best to work with the system but things are very promising to say the least. I myself am using FIASP with the system so this may take a little longer than normal but have found no major issues. Anyone thinking of going on the OP5 please bear in mind that there is a period of learning as the system adapts to your basal needs over time and it does take a few pods for the system to adapt to the basal you need. I have seen reviews that people have had a 'roller coaster' of a time during the 'learning phase' so please don't be discouraged

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have just (12 days back) moved over from the Dash to OP5 and self fund the Dexcom G6 but have been informed that in the 'not to distant future' the OP5 will be compatible with the Freestyle Libre 2 or 3. Must say that so far my monthly costs for the G6 is money very well spent!!! I have found the OP5 system with the CGM if fantastic!! - the system does take a few pods to learn your basal requirements and now on my 5th pod am finding out how off my initial basal needs have been and now need to address my ICR's and sensitivity. With that said, right from day one the system has kept me perfectly at near my target of 6.1 mmol when there has been no IOB and overnight!. Having 11 nights uninterrupted sleeping the past 6-7 years ... wow... feel so good!!!. Don't get me wrong the system is not perfect at the moment as there is a period of learning - ie the system needs time to fully learn my insulin needs and I need time to learn how best to work with the system but things are very promising to say the least. I myself am using FIASP with the system so this may take a little longer than normal but have found no major issues. Anyone thinking of going on the OP5 please bear in mind that there is a period of learning as the system adapts to your basal needs over time and it does take a few pods for the system to adapt to the basal you need. I have seen reviews that people have had a 'roller coaster' of a time during the 'learning phase' so please don't be discouraged
I'm hoping to move to omnipod 5 from the dash i have libre 2 both funded nhs but will have to fund dexcom g6 just waiting to hear if its in hospital budget but by your experience it sounds good and worth paying for dexcom but if it could be used with libre 2 or 3 I could get on nhs at some point? Glad it's working out for you fingers crossed for me and others who need it.

Reactions: Postleneo