Omnipod 5

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well they also insisting I eat straight after bolusing. On the dash I used to delay 10 or even 20 if I was high.
This morning I have eaten nothing, no carbs. But it is now on 12mmol. So, 8 when I got up, 12 now 3 1/2 hours. Still going up. It's not learning at all
Goodness! What insulin are you using in the pump? It does not sound as if it gets working instantly. I am on NovoRapid and it certainly takes some time to be absorbed.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Goodness! What insulin are you using in the pump? It does not sound as if it gets working instantly. I am on NovoRapid and it certainly takes some time to be absorbed.
Novorapid trouble is I have been type1 for 58yrs so this might make it even slower. When I bolus my levels go up about 1mmol before lowering. I sometimes think my body is rejecting the insulin. I think the omnipod5 is not giving me enough basal. But the basal rates I put in is not used unless I go manual. If I switch to manual quickest to lower level is put in a temp basal. Sometimes quite high. But be ready to cancel. I accept it has to learn, but this is my 7th pod. Think I could see the problem quite quickly. But I am Human.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Novorapid trouble is I have been type1 for 58yrs so this might make it even slower. When I bolus my levels go up about 1mmol before lowering. I sometimes think my body is rejecting the insulin. I think the omnipod5 is not giving me enough basal. But the basal rates I put in is not used unless I go manual. If I switch to manual quickest to lower level is put in a temp basal. Sometimes quite high. But be ready to cancel. I accept it has to learn, but this is my 7th pod. Think I could see the problem quite quickly. But I am Human.
Would it possible for you to ask your hospital DSN to arrange for you to meet her/him together with the Omnipod rep to try to sort out what is going on with the pump? The amount of money that NHS pays for the Omnipod means that the pump supplier should take some responsibility. These may be faulty lots of pods, or even faulty software.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Would it possible for you to ask your hospital DSN to arrange for you to meet her/him together with the Omnipod rep to try to sort out what is going on with the pump? The amount of money that NHS pays for the Omnipod means that the pump supplier should take some responsibility. These may be faulty lots of pods, or even faulty software.
I am told they have already contacted my original training rep. They might get her back in for a review. But it is easy to use I can't see what difference it would make. But who knows. It's just not putting enough basal in. I noticed there is also a column where it shows extra bolus amounts. It regularly shows 0.05 extra. But it nowhere near enough.
Just to add..today when I woke up in bed I was 8.6, just by sitting up in bed it went to 10.3 I got up. Had pre bolus for 34 carbs. 15mins later ate breakfast. 40mins later its 13.9. So this is a system that's supposed to be intelligent and learn. The only thing it learns is how to get worse. There is no one now for help. Nurse has finished till Jan 12th. It's just cust service. Pod change today to 8th pod. ...beware anyone wanting the omnipod5

Last edited:

WenB

Hi, I am Type 1 and currently using Omnipod Dash, I have been diabetic for nearly 42 years, I wondered wether you have been given the Omnipod 5 on the NHS or wether you are self funding? I thought that only children or pregnant women were being issued with it on the NHS?

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am currently using a Tandem T:slim with a Dexcom g6 I love the closed loop technology and use Control IQ all the time. I have the opportunity to move to Omnipod 5. The massive advantage is tubeless which really appeals to me. Does anyone have experience of the Omnipod 5? Bulkiness of the pod, connectivity issues with the pod and G6 having to be in line of site, is the algorithm similar to the T slim, does the hand held controller work well.
Any advice, pros/cons would be much appreciated. Thanks
Using OP Dash with DIY Loop so no info on O5. However, re: bulkiness they are amazingly small, contact Insulet and they will send you a deactivated pod to try/wear.

etmsreec

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am told they have already contacted my original training rep. They might get her back in for a review. But it is easy to use I can't see what difference it would make. But who knows. It's just not putting enough basal in. I noticed there is also a column where it shows extra bolus amounts. It regularly shows 0.05 extra. But it nowhere near enough.
Just to add..today when I woke up in bed I was 8.6, just by sitting up in bed it went to 10.3 I got up. Had pre bolus for 34 carbs. 15mins later ate breakfast. 40mins later its 13.9. So this is a system that's supposed to be intelligent and learn. The only thing it learns is how to get worse. There is no one now for help. Nurse has finished till Jan 12th. It's just cust service. Pod change today to 8th pod. ...beware anyone wanting the omnipod5
I’m not sure where you live @richyb , but I would get a referral to a different pump service. No DSN for over a month just isn’t acceptable. I agree that there is training required for the diabetes teams, but to have no support for that length of time just wouldn’t be on for me.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I’m not sure where you live @richyb , but I would get a referral to a different pump service. No DSN for over a month just isn’t acceptable. I agree that there is training required for the diabetes teams, but to have no support for that length of time just wouldn’t be on for me.
There is only 2 Dsn in hospital, both are part time as they are semi retired. I am not happy about it.
But I seem to be doing much better now. I am operating manually in the day and switching over to Auto before bedtime. Best of both worlds. This morning I initially woke at 4am. I was 6.2 on auto. Switched to manual. Woke again at 6am, 7.2. Now at 7.5 at 8.34am. I am very happy with that. If I stayed on Auto I would be 11ish.
6.45 had my bolus 7am breakfast 22carbs. Now at

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is only 2 Dsn in hospital, both are part time as they are semi retired. I am not happy about it.
But I seem to be doing much better now. I am operating manually in the day and switching over to Auto before bedtime. Best of both worlds. This morning I initially woke at 4am. I was 6.2 on auto. Switched to manual. Woke again at 6am, 7.2. Now at 7.5 at 8.34am. I am very happy with that. If I stayed on Auto I would be 11ish.
6.45 had my bolus 7am breakfast 22carbs. Now at
It is good that the manual mode gives you better blood glucose readings. Well done.

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope to be going onto the omnipod in the new year HOWEVER a work 4 nights a week wed-sat (8pm - 7am) therefore will it be able calibrate the changes for insulin input; on the days / nights I am off??

RD02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been on Omnipod 5 & G6 since November, coming from mdi, absolutely love the thing. I ran mine is manual mode for about 6 pods, this for me ensured I’d nailed the basal rate and bolus ratio. After that it went into full automatic. I’m 95% in range and even though eat a large amount of carbs over Christmas still maintained my 95% range.

The most important thing I’ve found is to teach the system, correct often. For me my targets are set to 6.1 and correct above 6.1. I’ve found that when the level above 8 then it will allow me to correct and works absolutely fine. Night times are a flat line!!

Dhishana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Been on the 5 a week now and no longer as happy. During the night it is perfectly steady, although slightly high. But daytime is rubbish. I am now high all day. I think it is lowering my basal. I have been dsing increasing bolus amount by reducing carb ratio, but making little difference. Early day's yet though. Don't want to use auto at bed time but manual in day. Hoping for progress.
I've just started on the omnnipod 5 with dexcom and this is EXACTLY the problem im facing. Night is steady but daytime is rubbish. Has this improved for you? Or do you use automated at night and manual in the day?