Omnipod adhesive suddenly causing rash???

AJB_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I’ve been on the omnipod for just under 2 years. In the last month or so the pump outer adhesive has gotten really uncomfortable and itchy. I end up with very sore red, dry and itchy skin when it is removed. Has anyone had a similar experience? Has the adhesive changed or have I/could I have suddenly become allergic to it??!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm sorry this is happening to you. I don't know about the omnipod adhesive but can confirm from my experience with the libre that it is unfortunately possible to become allergic to a sensor adhesive. (One reason I decline a pump, because I have enough trouble tolerating a cgm). If you look on facebook there are loads of groups for best ways to handle the rash from cgms, (eg cavilon spray, barrier pads etc etc). Obviously it's probably worth contacting omnipod to see if they've changed the adhesive.

Good luck.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi, I’ve been on the omnipod for just under 2 years. In the last month or so the pump outer adhesive has gotten really uncomfortable and itchy. I end up with very sore red, dry and itchy skin when it is removed. Has anyone had a similar experience? Has the adhesive changed or have I/could I have suddenly become allergic to it??!

I was not aware of Omnipod issues but both Dexcom and Abbott have been having problems with adhesive causing contact dermatitis and (in my case) systemic rashes with mild anaphylaxis.

Having just Googled Omnipod rash I can see there's quite a lot of internet activity! Maybe give that a go if you don't get the response you need here?

For myself, the response to the Abbott Freestyle Libre started after year of use and I've read somewhere that the chemicals in the adhesive may act as a skin sensitizer so the user can start out OK but become sensitive over a period of time.

For the Freestyle Libre people have developed a lot of workarounds, including an adhesive patch between the device and the skin, using anti-allergy sprays (Fionase/Cavilon) and even removing the adhesive and replacing with something else.

RobertSK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Anti-maskers and Anti-Vacc people.
I know the libre system's adhesive was an acrylate (isobornyl acrylate) that caused contact dermatitis on some people, myself included. I was able to use the libre system for about 18 months before the rash started. Once the dang rash appeared it was all over for me using the libre :( I suspect the Omnipod adhesive is an acrylate too. I feel for you my friend! Good Luck

I found this article: Skin Reaction Alert for Freestyle Libre Sensor Adhesive that mentioned the rash problem and did not recommend applying any OTC treatments as they have been shown to interfere with the sensor function. I spoke with my family doc about it but we've been unable to come up with a workable solution. I used Dexcom for a year, but gave it up because it was expensive... I'm back to poking my fingers 6x a day again.

FayeandBenito

Hiya,

I've had loads of issues with skin and the omipod including rashes and it falling off. The best I've found is; skin tac (but NHS wont supply it if your uk based). If you are UK base there is another one that the NHS provide but i cant remember its name. It creates a barrior and I've found helps. I usually after the site is finish use Vit C cream (buy from anywhere) or like E45 as it soothes it and helps. I was told to put it on few hours before bed so it had some air and then by morning there would be a change. I cant guarentee any of this as skins so different but i hope it helps.