omnipod hand set

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i'm thinking about changing my pump to an omnipod can you buy a spare hand set and how much are they.
i have to choose between medtronuc 640 and the omnipod still not sure. Any thoughts

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m not sure what the retail price for the Omnipod PDM is, I think it’s around £400 - if you give them a call on 0800 011 6132 they’ll be able to advise.

I’ve only ever used Omnipod, and I adore it - no tubes! That had put me off the whole idea of a pump for years, but I hardly know I’m wearing one - unless I’ve picked a daft spot to put a pod so it rubs or catches on whatever I’ve decided to wear on a particular day.

Reactions: caretaker

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @caretaker, I am not experienced in either pump but you can find previous discussions on Omnipod and Medtronic on the Pump forum, by typing those and similar items like 'tubey pump', 'tubeless pump', 'cannula problems', 'CGM' in to the Search box upper right of the Forum page. The upper section of the pump forum subjects will have general information about choosing pumps etc.
Your avatar suggests you might need to shave the fur in order for the pump or tube/cannula connection to remain attached to your skin.!! Happy hunting for the pros and cons of each pump and I ma sure other will post with information and their experiences.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I’m not sure you’ll need a backup pdm. What are your thoughts that make you think that you need one?

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I've only ever been on the Omnipod, my endo recommended it as it was tubeless and it is what she wore. I love the Omnipod, I don't have to do anything when getting it wet, it can be put it many different places too. You really forget where you are wearing it! I remember asking her NP asssitant who wears one too, if she ever wore it on her leg and she said all the time, right now I have it on...and started slapping her body all over the place to find out where she was wearing it!!! I find myself doing that too! The control is also really easy to use.

Reactions: porl69

Chickenboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just gone onto Omnipod and it was funded by the NHS. I saw the invoice for the handset and I'm pretty sure it was £198. It may be a totally different cost if you buy privately though. I wouldn't see the need for a spare handset though. If it breaks then you'd just phone for a new one at the time.