1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

omnipod hand set

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by caretaker, Jan 26, 2019.

1. caretaker

caretaker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

i'm thinking about changing my pump to an omnipod can you buy a spare hand set and how much are they.
    i have to choose between medtronuc 640 and the omnipod still not sure. Any thoughts

2. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I’m not sure what the retail price for the Omnipod PDM is, I think it’s around £400 - if you give them a call on 0800 011 6132 they’ll be able to advise.

I’ve only ever used Omnipod, and I adore it - no tubes! That had put me off the whole idea of a pump for years, but I hardly know I’m wearing one - unless I’ve picked a daft spot to put a pod so it rubs or catches on whatever I’ve decided to wear on a particular day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @caretaker, I am not experienced in either pump but you can find previous discussions on Omnipod and Medtronic on the Pump forum, by typing those and similar items like 'tubey pump', 'tubeless pump', 'cannula problems', 'CGM' in to the Search box upper right of the Forum page. The upper section of the pump forum subjects will have general information about choosing pumps etc.
    Your avatar suggests you might need to shave the fur in order for the pump or tube/cannula connection to remain attached to your skin.!! Happy hunting for the pros and cons of each pump and I ma sure other will post with information and their experiences.

4. Jollymon

Jollymon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’m not sure you’ll need a backup pdm. What are your thoughts that make you think that you need one?

• Agree Agree x 2
    #4 Jollymon, Jan 27, 2019 at 12:26 AM
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  5. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

I've only ever been on the Omnipod, my endo recommended it as it was tubeless and it is what she wore. I love the Omnipod, I don't have to do anything when getting it wet, it can be put it many different places too. You really forget where you are wearing it! I remember asking her NP asssitant who wears one too, if she ever wore it on her leg and she said all the time, right now I have it on...and started slapping her body all over the place to find out where she was wearing it!!! I find myself doing that too! The control is also really easy to use.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Chickenboy

Chickenboy Type 1 · Active Member

I've just gone onto Omnipod and it was funded by the NHS. I saw the invoice for the handset and I'm pretty sure it was £198. It may be a totally different cost if you buy privately though. I wouldn't see the need for a spare handset though. If it breaks then you'd just phone for a new one at the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook