Omnipod Pre Bolus

Dema_92

Hey Everyone :) I finally got approved to switch from my Animas to Omnipod... Exciting. I have a question I could not find the answer for anywhere.
How long does it take for Omnipod to deliver a bolus? (Let's say 5 units).
I have struggled in the past with pre-bolusing and was just looking to see how to change my meal "routine" to fit the new pump.

D

Deleted Account

Is pre-bolusing time a feature of a pump?
I had always made the assumption it was a feature of the insulin.
I have only had one pump (Animas) and injections and found the pre-bolus time was the same for both.

Things have improved since I changed from Novorapid to Fiasp insulin but I understand this does not work for everyone.

Reactions: kitedoc

Dema_92

Is pre-bolusing time a feature of a pump?
I had always made the assumption it was a feature of the insulin.
I have only had one pump (Animas) and injections and found the pre-bolus time was the same for both.

Things have improved since I changed from Novorapid to Fiasp insulin but I understand this does not work for everyone.
Well with pens or my pump a bolus takes approximately 1 sec per unit (I have the slow bolus turned on on my Animas) but Omnipod delivers at 0.05u per tick (that's my understanding anyway). So I was wondering if it will take more time to fully deliver a bolus compared to other pumps.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think pre bolus and the time the motor takes to deliver the insulin are different things......

I wouldn't expect the time it takes to deliver the insulin for a normal bolus to be adjustable or to have an effect on levels either....

D

Deleted Account

Well with pens or my pump a bolus takes approximately 1 sec per unit (I have the slow bolus turned on on my Animas) but Omnipod delivers at 0.05u per tick (that's my understanding anyway). So I was wondering if it will take more time to fully deliver a bolus compared to other pumps.
Are you asking how long the pump takes to deliver the insulin or how long the insulin takes to work?
I think these are different things.
The first will be in seconds and the second in minutes so the time to deliver the insulin will have little impact on how long before a meal you would need to pre-bolus.
Or are you asking for some other reason? For example, I find Fiasp stings when delivered and, I guess, the sting may be less if it was delivered slower.

Perhaps if you explain why you are asking, we may be able to help.

Dema_92

Are you asking how long the pump takes to deliver the insulin or how long the insulin takes to work?
I think these are different things.
The first will be in seconds and the second in minutes so the time to deliver the insulin will have little impact on how long before a meal you would need to pre-bolus.
Or are you asking for some other reason? For example, I find Fiasp stings when delivered and, I guess, the sting may be less if it was delivered slower.

Perhaps if you explain why you are asking, we may be able to help.
Just asking how long it will take the pod to deliver a set amount of insulin :) apologies if I got the wording wrong

D

Deleted Account

Just asking how long it will take the pod to deliver a set amount of insulin :) apologies if I got the wording wrong
I am expecting a discussion about Animas replacement soon.
There are features of Omnipod which I am very interested in (there are others which I am less keen on).
I had never thought about the delivery rate.
What is the reason you consider this important?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Delivery rate varies quite a bit across pumps.
  • Old Medtronic pumps - 1.2u per minute
  • 640G has a fast and slow option, 1. Fast option delivering 15u per minute 2. Slow one doing 1.5u per minute.
  • Combo 12u per minute.
  • Animas NRML delivery rate is 1u per second and SLOW is 1u per five seconds.
  • Omnipod delivers 1.5u per minute
  • Insight has four speeds starting at 3u/min and going up to 12u/min, in 3u/min increments.
This works out, for a 5u bolus, as follows:
  • Old Medtronic - 6mins
  • 640G - Fast 20 seconds/Slow 3 mins 20 seconds
  • Combo - 25 secs
  • Animas - NRML 5 secs/SLOW 25 secs
  • Omnipod - 3mins 20 seconds
  • Insight - Slowest 1min 40 secs, fastest 25 secs

Reactions: Dema_92

Dema_92

• 640G has a fast and slow option, 1. Fast option delivering 15u per minute 2. Slow one doing 1.5u per minute.
  • Combo 12u per minute.
  • Insight has four speeds starting at 3u/min and going up to 12u/min, in 3u/min increments.
  • Old Medtronic - 6mins
  • Combo - 25 secs
Wow Tim, amazing thank you very much indeed

Dema_92

I am expecting a discussion about Animas replacement soon.
There are features of Omnipod which I am very interested in (there are others which I am less keen on).
I had never thought about the delivery rate.
What is the reason you consider this important?
I think is important for me as I ofter forget to give enough time for the bolus to start acting, I usually bolus right before starting to eat. If a pump takes 5 min to deliver a full bolus this could become an issue.
So I will have to start to change my meal routine a bit.

Reactions: porl69

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
  • Combo 12u per minute.
  • Old Medtronic - 6mins
  • Combo - 25 secs

Where does it all come from........:bookworm::bookworm::)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
@Dema_92 if you go into settings on your PDM there is a "bolus increment screen "the choices are 0.05u , 0.10u , 0.5u and 1.0u ---depending on which setting you have your PDM set to will determine the speed of the bolus , i have mine set at 0.10 u and a 5u bolus seems to take about 2 minutes for me--- hope this helps