Omnipod/Pump users... Help?

Markham_K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey everyone, hope you're well :)

I had a girly date with my friend the other day, and she mentioned pumps to me. she's not diabetic, but as I've been diagnosed this year she's been a right little cutie and done some research... She's the one that brought Omnipod to me...

I was wondering the pros and cons of it, I'm not a pump users as I didn't like the look of the wires, I'm so clumsy so scared I'd get them tangled or tied one something, haha, but I know this one is wireless!

Also, I have two insulin Nova Rapid and Levemir, does both go in? would I only put Nova rapid in or is it my Levemir... Will I come off of one of them? Is there other wireless pumps?

Any advice, any information given will be greatly appreciated!!!

Also other pump users, if you have any information also very welcome, I'm up in the air on what direction to go in.

Thanks in advance :) xx

jodysd6

A pump of any kind would only use the rapid insulin, like Novorapid and you would stop using a long acting like levemir as the pump would be giving a small amount of the fast acting all the time, doing the job of both basal insulin and bolus insulin.

There are criteria to meet to get a pump on the NHS so the first step would be to discuss it with your DSN/Consultant, as unfortunately it's not just personal preference and even if you meet criteria it can take time or there may be things you need to do first, for example things like dafne to prove you can carb count and act on results of your blood tests. Omnipod is currently the only tubeless pump and again depending on area they may not offer it without exceptional circumstances.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was wondering the pros and cons of it, I'm not a pump users as I didn't like the look of the wires, I'm so clumsy so scared I'd get them tangled or tied one something, haha, but I know this one is wireless!

The Omnipod is tube-free pump, the Pods which contains the insulin is sited where you would normally inject and is controlled by a device called a PDM, here is the Omnipod website which gives a detailed description of the pump:

http://www.mylife-diabetescare.co.uk/mylife-omnipod-discover.html

Also, I have two insulin Nova Rapid and Levemir, does both go in? would I only put Nova rapid in or is it my Levemir... Will I come off of one of them? Is there other wireless pumps?

See @jodysd6 explanation.

Any advice, any information given will be greatly appreciated!!!

There has to be a clinical need for a pump which is subject to your consultants approval, have a read of the following which should help explain things:

http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/alt-insulin-pumps/

Best wishes.