Omnipod question

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I've been looking in to pumps recently and I don't really fancying all the tubing etc that many of them come with so the Omnipod in theory sounds like a good option but I do have some basic questions; and I'd be great full for the answers?
  • Does the application and insertion hurt? I currently use a libre and occasionally you feel it a tiny 'prick' on application but
  • Does it fell like you've got a needle inserted inside you 24/7?
  • Where is the best place to wear it? I don't really want it showing.
  • Can you exercise with it on? I do allot of weights and abs work so would wearing on the side 'love handle' area be an issue during exercise?
  • Can it easily fail and if so what is the back up?

thanks guys

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Might be worth checking with your hospital to see whether they offer it as an option. Some hospitals offer a wide variety of pumps but some are very limited, only offering one or two. I was quite tempted by omnipod but turned out my hospital just doesn't do it. Think's it's got sonething to do with staff training involved, amongst other things.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does the application and insertion hurt?

Not really.

Does it fell like you've got a needle inserted inside you 24/7?

No. Not at all.

Where is the best place to wear it? I don't really want it showing.

Wherever you want. If you don't want it showing, don't put it somewhere it will show.

Can you exercise with it on? I do allot of weights and abs work so would wearing on the side 'love handle' area be an issue during exercise?

You can exercise with it on. I don't know what movements youre doing but if sticking it on love handles would be in the way for your weight lifting, then don't stick it on the love handles.

Can it easily fail and if so what is the back up?

Not easily, but it can fall off. If it falls off, stick a new one on.

If you've only just started on basal bolus insulin it seems unlikely you would be considered for a pump in the imminent future. You need to see how the basal bolus regime is working for you and prove you can carb count first. Most areas won't put you forward for a pump until you've completed a DAFNE course. You also need to clinically require a pump, because basal bolus via mdi isn't working for you.

You also need to check whether your hospital offers omnipod, because if their DSNs aren't trained in omnipod then they won't be able to train you in omnipod.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@catapillar thanks for all your feedback. tbh my hospital have mentioned it in the past but I've always been abit unsure until now.

One thing I forgot to add is how sturdy is it, can it easily fall out? Think busy ram packed rush hour tube, or a festival etc?

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers catapillar.

Also does the PDM allow you to manually enter a BG number before triggering a bolus. I guess what I'm asking is can I Libre scan and enter that number on the fly rather then taking blood on the PDM. Or is a bolus delivery only enabled after a blood test performed on the PDM?

D

Deleted Account

can I Libre scan and enter that number
Is your Libre accurate enough for that?
I found the Libre useful for spotting trends but was evry strongly advised not to use it for insulin calculation because it is not accurate enough.
Because a pump more closely mimic the behaviour of a healthy pancreas, it has less "room for error" than injections so I would not use Libre (or any other CGM) readings for blood calculation - still need to stick needles in my fingers and make myself bleed.

D

Deleted Account

I don't really fancying all the tubing etc
Don't let the tubing put you off a tubey pump if it is on offer.
The only choice I had was Animas Vibe or stick with injections. I went with the Vibe and have much better control.
I am very active: climbing, cycling, gym (cardio and free weights), running, etc. and the tube is very easily tucked away out of harms way.
I even tried some flying trapeze earlier this month. Neither my pump nor the tube were any problems as a hung upside down and did back flips which would be far more vigorous than weights..

Reactions: porl69

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers catapillar.

Also does the PDM allow you to manually enter a BG number before triggering a bolus. I guess what I'm asking is can I Libre scan and enter that number on the fly rather then taking blood on the PDM. Or is a bolus delivery only enabled after a blood test performed on the PDM?

You don't need to have tested to bolus, so if you want to enter a libre reading and bolus from that you can. I would bear in mind that Abbott don't actually want you doing that and their own bolus wizard wants a blood test rather than a libre reading.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys for all the information it's as usual extremely valuable.

What happens in the event that a pump fails and your not neat home to quickly swap one? Do you guys carry a pen just in-case? If so would you take basel or bolus?

WHM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes to that there are so many things to consider in addition to the pod falling off. I have had cannulas dislodging, pod errors, handset issues none of which have occurred regularly but a back up insulin supply is in my opinion essential.
Good luck if you are considering/accepted for pump therapy, for me it has been life changing in so many ways.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

I've been looking in to pumps recently and I don't really fancying all the tubing etc that many of them come with so the Omnipod in theory sounds like a good option but I do have some basic questions; and I'd be great full for the answers?
  • Does the application and insertion hurt? I currently use a libre and occasionally you feel it a tiny 'prick' on application but
  • Does it fell like you've got a needle inserted inside you 24/7?
  • Where is the best place to wear it? I don't really want it showing.
  • Can you exercise with it on? I do allot of weights and abs work so would wearing on the side 'love handle' area be an issue during exercise?
  • Can it easily fail and if so what is the back up?

thanks guys

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re exercise my only issue with my Rovhe insight is where to wear it! I exercisr a lot and wear it in a tight spoirts bra which i realise us not much use for you! Check out what accessories you coukd get as if doing anything jumpy it will need to be secured or unplugged and the velcro belt supolied with my kit was not adequate.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love the Omnipod :D

To answer some of the questions:

I usually have a spare pod and vial of insulin in my bag in case I need to start a new pod, but will sometimes risk it if I'd be able to get home quickly in case of a failure. I've only had 1 failure in the 6 months I've been using it though. This is something you'd need to consider with any pump though and something you should discuss with your healthcare team.

Yes, the PDM will allow you to enter a number from your Libre, just bear in mind the usual warnings about bolusing from it. I admit I use my Dexcom numbers for bolusing all the time though. Also, some people prefer to use a different blood monitor and enter those figures too.

As for falling off, I have trouble actually getting them off after the 3 days! I know others use additional adhesive patches or skin tac to help though. I think it depends on your skin really, mine is quite dry.

I'd agree with @helensaramay though - don't dismiss the tubed pumps, many very active people are perfectly happy with theirs. Your clinic may be able to offer you a trial with one, using saline, so ask about it.

Good luck

dvhales

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't find how to post a question, but maybe someone will put this in the appropriate place if this is incorrect...
Does the Omnipod allow you to bolus a required amount without doing a BG test?
Does the handset allow you to enter a carb unit and calculate the bolus required then send it to the pod to deliver?
Thanks for the toleration and hopefully some answers.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't find how to post a question, but maybe someone will put this in the appropriate place if this is incorrect...
Does the Omnipod allow you to bolus a required amount without doing a BG test?
Does the handset allow you to enter a carb unit and calculate the bolus required then send it to the pod to deliver?
Thanks for the toleration and hopefully some answers.

Yes, you can either enter a BG value if you want to from another monitor, or CGM, or just skip that step entirely - it will calculate the bolus dose based just on the carbs you enter. The PDM (handset) needs to be fairly close to the pod to deliver a bolus but will calculate based on the carbs (and ratios you have entered previously)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Can you exercise with it on? I do allot of weights and abs work so would wearing on the side 'love handle' area be an issue during exercise?
In response to this point, I use a tubed pump and have no issues with weight training or fast bowling whilst wearing it. For weights use, with the pod, you'd just have to ensure that the the pod isn't somewhere where you'll rub against it with whatever program you are doing.