Omnipod questions

rob1p

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a few questions. I'm asking on behalf of my wife who is considering the Omnipod, but she doesn't do webby stuff. I've looked at some of the threads, and I'm aware that I'm repeating questions others have asked, but the threads are often a couple of years old, and the technology changes rapidly, so I hope to get some up to date answers.

Is there an alarm that sounds if the pump stops working?

Is hot water bad for the pod? ie shower, bath, swimming pool.

Can the pod last three and a half days instead of the three advertised? (Would be very convenient in terms of standard changeover time.)

Does she need to keep the PDM close by her most of the time, eg pottering around the house, or does the pod have a memory?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
All pumps alarm it's a major safety feature, so have no worries.
No Pod is fine in water the handset not.
No there's an automatic stop delivery after 3 days.
Can't help with the last question @noblehead can answer that one for you :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes the pump has an alarm if the pod stops working.

You can wear the pod in water to a certain depth (sorry can't remember off top of my head) and you can wear it when showering or bathing, but I asked myself about hot water temperature and the pump rep said it was fine as long you weren't having a long soak, as obviously prolonged heat can deteriorate insulin. The PDM isn't waterproof so don't be taking it near water.

The advise is to change the pod every 3 days to prevent infections and site problems, the same as it is with any other pump.

No not all the time, once the basal rates have been set the pod is programmed and will deliver the insulin even if the PDM isn't within range, however when bolusing and doing correction doses you have to be within 5 feet of the Pod for it to work.

rob1p

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you both; that is very helpful. My wife is getting excited now. :)

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
No not all the time, once the basal rates have been set the pod is programmed and will deliver the insulin even if the PDM isn't within range, however when bolusing and doing correction doses you have to be within 5 feet of the Pod for it to work.

So if your arms are longer than 5 foot long then you can't bolus?;):):D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you both; that is very helpful. My wife is getting excited now. :)

I really love the Omnipod pump Rob and it has been life changing not having to inject, but I've only just recently changed to pumping insulin so have no experience of other pumps.

Whatever pump you wife decides to choose, hope all goes well.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Yeah very good :)

Just one other thing Rob, when doing a pod change you have to have the Pod and the PDM side-by-side for them to connect and prime, just thought I'd mention it.

Reactions: 3 people

rob1p

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes, we thought of that, too. :p I suppose it means she can have the pod and I can have the PDM just out of arm's reach, and really mess with her head. :joyful:

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I trialled the Omnipod and really liked it. The range of the PDM is odd, sometimes you need to put the PDM right up close to the pod for it to work.

Alzibiff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One note on the 3 day change thing as this bothered me a wee bit having used the Medtronic pump for 5 years which would continue to function without a cannula change or alarm for as long as there was insulin in the cartridge.

The time at which you have to change the Omnipod is a lot more controlled - you HAVE to change it within 8 hours after the 3 day period and are reminded to do so by regular beeps from the pod itself. (The rate at which the pod beeps can be reduced if you acknowledge that you are aware that the pod needs changing by punching a button on the PDM).

All this means is that you have to think ahead and make sure that you are able to make pod changes at a convenient time - you don't want it to start beeping in the middle of a performance at the theatre for example. It isn't a problem, just needs a bit of planning.

I tend to change mine at home before my evening meal every three days but if I were going out one night on a change day, I would change early and then three days later, change later (within 8 hours) to bring things back to my regular time.

Alan