Omnipod System

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

I'm new here. I've used the search function but come up with nothing, does anybody know or own an Omnipod System?
From what I've looked at I think they're only available in America, but it looks really impressive. Its both an advanced blood glucose monitor (uses Freestyle testing strips) and a wireless insulin pump. I've never used a pump before so I don't know how good the system compares to other products.
Here's a link to more info http://www.myomnipod.com/products/ & also here's more detailed review on youtube http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CsWpMUqlpQQ.

And also here's a little info about myself:
- Type 1 diabetic, diagnosed in 1998.
- I currently inject 2 doses of insulin a day, one in the morning and one before my evening meal - this is humalog mix 25. In some ways this means the diabetes is controlling when and what I eat, and I must eat little and often, but I prefer it this way.
- I do sometimes take extra normal humalog if I'm going to have a big meal or if I have high bs.
- I test 3 - 6 times a day all depending on how I feel and whether I'm in or out of my daily routine.
Thanks! :)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
The Omnipod system does look good, and a new version is currently under development with an improved glucose monitoring system. But it is currently only available in the US (and even there is sold in only 40 states). The cost of $800 for a month's worth of pods is probably what will prevent it ever becoming available on prescription in the UK.

When you consider that PCTs are reluctant to let GPs prescribe even glucose monitor test strips at a cost to the NHS of less than £20 per month, I don't see Omnipod ever getting off the ground over here.

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh right thats good then, so the only clear advantage to this device is the lack of cables & tubes I guess? I might have todo some more research on other pumps then...

And going off topic - Diabetic for 43 years on insulin & no complications! Thats amazing! I'm not sure if you'd call them complications, but I've had a few hypo fits in the past two years and its sometimes hard to get through the nights when I've got a busy week or weekend out of routine.

Tinkerbelly

Hi

Although the Omnipod might never make it to the UK there is another company based in Wales called Starbridge Systems that are in the process of making a tube free pump suitable for insulin.

The Starbridge Patch is not yet available but looks very promising. I have spoken a few times with the company and they are very nice and friendly. When the Patch does get launched it will be through Bournemouth Hospital - Dr David Kerr. There is already a mention on the NICE guidelines for insulin pump therapy about Starbridge Systems.

Although not shown on their website http://www.starbridgesystems.co.uk/03_p ... -patch.htm, the Patch is said to be operated from a wireless remote no bigger than a credit card. However, like the Omnipod, the Patch will most likely need to sit via the infusion set on the stomach so as to avoid being uncomfortable when lying down in bed and finding yourself lying on a matchbox if you turn on your side. Also, because the sticking area of the Patch and the Pod is much bigger due to the reservoir holding the insulin, some people will find themselves having skin irritation caused by the adhesive. With the Pod, it has been known for it to come off when having a bath. I have a feeling that the Patch will be able to be disconnected when bathing or showering although I'm not sure on that. Starbridge are also working to address some of the other problems that Pod users are experiencing so that the Patch will be all ok.

Like Sarah has said though there is the worrying issue of mislaying the wireless remote and without that you cant give yourself any insulin :roll: .

Type 1 - diabetic for 42 years MDI

mikewhit

Re: Omnipod System: NHS vs US costing

The cost of $800 for a month's worth of pods is probably what will prevent it ever becoming available on prescription in the UK.
What we have been hearing recently about US healthcare costs suggests that the manufacturers can charge pretty much what they like in the US.

Who's to say that under the NHS regime they might cost nearer to the actual price, and hence become more affordable in the UK ?

kaz1

I was reading a balance magazine in clinic today, it had an interview with a BBC presenter who had a son that was diangnose type 1 diabetic when he was working in America. The son was given a choice of pumps to try, after trying a few he chose the Omni Pod. He is now back in this country and being treated at Kings College Hospital and has be allowed to keep using the Pod. Don't know if this is a one off or if it means there is hope for the rest of us.