omnipod trial

leggott

My 6 year old son and my husband have just trialed the Omnipod. I have to say that it seems amazing! The pod itself is very small and in fact the pods will be 40% smaller in the next year or two.
My son wore his on his tummy just by the side of his tummy button. He didn't notice it at all and slept and rough played with his sister without any issues. The only complaint he had was that after a few days it started to itch a little where it was stuck to his skin.

My husband who has been diabetic for over 25 Years was blown away by the device and had no issues in wearing it. He's never liked the thought of wearing a pump because of the tubing, but found this device to be incredibley discreet. I have read some negative comments like pods not working and the device coming unstuck, but I guess all pumps have their issues. We actually found the pods stuck really well even after wearing for a few days. My husband just pulled his off at the end of the trial where as my son had to lay in a warm bath for a few minutes before being able to remove the device quite easily himself.

I just thought I'd share this with you in case anyone is trailing pumps as the Omnipod in our opinion is well worth consideration. We are looking at the accu-chec com o next week and then hopefully we can decide which one best suits our needs.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's interesting to hear your feedback as not many people in the UK have used the Omnipod so it's pretty much an unknown here. Will both your children be getting a pump?

leggott

hi Sophia - it is our intention to get funding for both - so fingers crossed!

I spent a log time researching the device and have spoken to quite a few families in the US. It does seem to be an incredible piece of kit. My husband spent 2 hours with the rep and he was blown away. He came away feeling quite emotional about the device. There is talk about the DExcom cgm being integrated with the pod at some time in the future, although as with everything else it will be in the US long before it's available in the UK.

leggott