Omnipod

tircoed

Hi i have been on a Omnipod for 4 weeks, can i ask how long did it take for blood sugars to settle down.

Thanks Emma

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @tircoed
this is the unglossy truth -- after 3 days I was ready to give it back( thrown at them ) because of the constant high readings............. but it turns out my DSN was starting me out on a very conservative approach to pumping -- this has helped me loads.

After about 4 weeks I started hitting decent numbers and by 6 weeks all was cool ............ I would not look back to MDI

thanks @azure for the tag !! :)

tircoed

Not great back at the hospital tomorrow ,having high blood sugars in the night so think she is going to increase my Bolas tomorrow,have had lots of problems 2 pod fails,finding it hard work at the moment,having to test alot because sugars going over 14 and have to check for Keetons.Just wanted to know how long it takes for everything to settle down.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
do stick with it -- it is not easy -- but getting to grips with pumping does make things easier lifestyle wise over the longer term

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not great back at the hospital tomorrow ,having high blood sugars in the night so think she is going to increase my Bolas tomorrow,have had lots of problems 2 pod fails,finding it hard work at the moment,having to test alot because sugars going over 14 and have to check for Keetons.Just wanted to know how long it takes for everything to settle down.
based on what you know so far -- have you started suggesting any tweaks to your basal rates yet ??
or are you relying just on your DSN ??

I started suggesting changes myself after about 3 weeks because I could see patterns developing from the log diaries I keep ( I still keep them after 14 months on the omnipod )

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

So have you actually done any basal testing and adjusted your basal so you don't go high? If you haven't then you will never sort your blood sugars out as the pump wont do it for you.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi i have been on a Omnipod for 4 weeks, can i ask how long did it take for blood sugars to settle down.

Think I must have been lucky as it took around a week.

Not great back at the hospital tomorrow ,having high blood sugars in the night so think she is going to increase my Bolas tomorrow,have had lots of problems 2 pod fails,

The hospital team will analyse your pump data and will advise you on adjusting your basal rates. I did have a few issues with the pods in the first month but admittedly it was likely down to user error, you'll find once you've been on the pump for a while the issues with the pods will be few & far between.

tircoed

based on what you know so far -- have you started suggesting any tweaks to your basal rates yet ??
or are you relying just on your DSN ??

I started suggesting changes myself after about 3 weeks because I could see patterns developing from the log diaries I keep ( I still keep them after 14 months on the omnipod )
Yes i ask her to increase my Bolas after 10 days as i know i was not getting enough insulin which she did everything settled for 10 days now im high every night going to bed at 6.1 then not eating again and wake with sugars of 12 then taking extra as PDM advising but taking hours for my levels to return to under 8.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So have you actually done any basal testing and adjusted your basal so you don't go high? If you haven't then you will never sort your blood sugars out as the pump wont do it for you.
This new member of the forum may never have basal tested but as she is just 3 weeks into starting a new regime and guaranteed to be a bit nervous about a huge change to managing the D -- perhaps suggesting basal testing as something to look at over the next few weeks could be a suggestion --- see a link here https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

@tircoed - once I started getting used to being on a pump ( after the first week ) I started doing some basal testing as described in the link -- it is really helpful and will allow you to speak from a standpoint of experience with your DSN when discussing potential basal rate ( and other pump settings ):)

tircoed

Yes in increased insulin had 6 good days now sugars high every night

tircoed

This new member of the forum may never have basal tested but as she is just 3 weeks into starting a new regime and guaranteed to be a bit nervous about a huge change to managing the D -- perhaps suggesting basal testing as something to look at over the next few weeks could be a suggestion --- see a link here https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

@tircoed - once I started getting used to being on a pump ( after the first week ) I started doing some basal testing as described in the link -- it is really helpful and will allow you to speak from a standpoint of experience with your DSN when discussing potential basal rate ( and other pump settings ):)
Yes doing basal testing tonight,fasting from 6 this evening.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So you need to test again and change your basal settings after you have the results. Unfortunately basals do not stay the same so frequent testing is needed.

tircoed

Yes doing basal testing tonight,fasting from 6 this evening.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hate to tell you this but basal testing should have started on day 3 at least from pump start. Unless you start from day 1 mastering the pump there isn't much point in having it.
Yep pumping is very hard work to start with frustrating as well :( Bottom line is the pump ain't plug and play and only delivers what you tell it.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had read "pumping insulin" by John Walsh before starting on the pump, so i was confident to make changes to the pump settings myself - there was no asking the DSN to change them or waiting for appointments to make changes. I use a CGM and that definitely helps with tweaking basal rates.

The pumping insulin book is really helpful to point you in the right direction to get the mode out of your pump. I think lots of hospitals are offering trials with the libre so that might be something to look into - a couple of weeks of continuous glucose monitors could really help with the basal testing to get settled on the pump.

tircoed

I had read "pumping insulin" by John Walsh before starting on the pump, so i was confident to make changes to the pump settings myself - there was no asking the DSN to change them or waiting for appointments to make changes. I use a CGM and that definitely helps with tweaking basal rates.

The pumping insulin book is really helpful to point you in the right direction to get the mode out of your pump. I think lots of hospitals are offering trials with the libre so that might be something to look into - a couple of weeks of continuous glucose monitors could really help with the basal testing to get settled on the pump.
Thanks For the information really appreciate it