Omnipod

adamrit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. I've been Type 1 three months short of 60 years and it is a never-ending hassle, but you can do it. Don't let unhelpful people get you down. Make it a principle.

I've used Medtronic pumps (currently the 640G) for about 9 years after hating the idea of a machine hanging off me with bits stuck into me and thin insulin tubes dangling about. Now I think pumps are great. I have a a background (basal) supply continuously delivered which you can organise easily when you've worked out your patterns of highs and lows. When you eat, you just tell the pump how much insulin you want (or use the wizard which calculates a dosage) based on how many carbs you are eating and how much insulin is already active (if any). The human soluble insulin needs changing every 3 or 4 days, but it isn't difficult.

The sensor (NHS provided because I have low hypo awareness) lasts 6 days and is quite fiddly to put in. It is pretty accurate if you calibrate it four times a day, but only just before meals and at bed-time. Main points: the pump has a thin tube (catheter) connecting to your body. You can choose the length you are comfortable with. The pump has a clip which holds the pump on your belt or knickers or wherever, Having it on my belt means I can check my glucose levels at any time (because I also have a sensor) but also how much insulin is active, when I last took insulin. I can check the basal rate, give myself a bolus, turn basal delivery off or increase it. The sensor is wireless, so I have the sensor and the insulin delivery stuck to my body with provided small tapes, that have come off twice in nine years under extreme circumstances. You can easily disconnect the pump with the insulin catheter and put a small clip cover on it. Having anything attached to you is a bit in your way, but easy to get used to. The 640G is supposed to be OK for showers and swimming, but I've always disconnected it (and when making love).

Medtronic charge the NHS or anyone so much money for their pump, their sensors, their catheters and everything that I'm not fond of the company. Their instructions are written by computer manual writers, so nothing like as clear as they should be. Good points: The 640G has a good screen. The pump stops delivery automatically if your blood sugar gets too low, which can be a life-saver (provided you have a sensor). If you have a good Diabetic Nurse, you can gradually get better and better control of your diabetes by programming the pump to take account of how your own diabetes works. Diabetes is a nightmare that never lets go or ceases to be difficult, mysterious and changeable, but after 59 years, I'm beginning to get used to it and so far no loss of sight, amputations or any of the big negatives that get you if you don't give it care and attention. Once you are on one make of pump, you are likely to stay with that manufacturer because the pumps are complicated and take a while to become familiar with.

I'd say go with the pump without hesitation. Give up on all the hassle of 4 injections a day. I test my blood sugar with an Accu-chek Mobile which needs no tabs to carry or any to throw away. It has a cassette with 50 tests without refilling. I wouldn't use another anymore. Good luck