On Chemo, is this the problem?

johnoo

Been on a Chemo treatment for 4 months now finished.
Have stopped doing Blood/Sugar measurements, only been doing fasting in morning.
Started yesterday a 4 test a day routine.
This morning got a fasting measurement of 9.8, for me not bad.
But after a Fried Breakfast @ 2 hours later reading was 14.0
Any ideas about cause?
Suggestions? Just wait & monitor?
Thanks in advance

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you also been having steroid treatment with the chemo, @johnoo ?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I suppose with something as complicated as chemo, there might be a variety of results, but my T2 diabetic dad had oral chemotherapy for chronic myeloid leukemia and it dropped his blood sugars down to the point of him having multiple hypos daily. His diabetes medication was greatly reduced in response. He's currently undergoing chemo and radiotherapy for prostate cancer- I'll check what effect that's having on his sugars when I get the chance. Anyway, good luck with it: I guess for now you should just monitor the situation and stay off the carbs as much as you can: I wouldn't be surprised if your body needs some time to readjust.

johnoo

This evening just prior to Supper Blood Sugar 10.0, high but not bad.
For Supper Ham & Egg pie (Gala Pie?) + chips then Grapefruit segments.
Blood sugar 2 hours after 18.4.
Could say move to insulin but moving onto Radiotherapy & how will this go with Diabetes type 2?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This evening just prior to Supper Blood Sugar 10.0, high but not bad.
For Supper Ham & Egg pie (Gala Pie?) + chips then Grapefruit segments.
Blood sugar 2 hours after 18.4.
Could say move to insulin but moving onto Radiotherapy & how will this go with Diabetes type 2?

Pastry and chips both extraordinarily high carb foods.. why?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, what do I have instead of chips?
Meat, fish, green veg.
Cheese, yoghurt, a few berries.
Base what you eat around that, ditch starchy carbs (totally if you can) and your blood sugars should come down.

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I can't say that I have never cheated with chips, but normally I substitute it with what I call my traffic light salad consisting of tomato, yellow peppers and english or mini cucumber with a low carb dressing.

After I ate chips, my blood sugar is normally orbiting the stratosphere with either Elon Musk or Richard Branson's space ships.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help some... But you really do want to cut the carbs, you've got too much going on to also have to deal with high blood sugars. I did pretty good with cauliflower rice with cheese, bacon and herbs, if you're looking for something that fills you up much like potatoes would... These days I follow a carnivore diet, which is almost no carbs... I just have trice or quadruple the amount of meat I normally would have in the evening. ;) You can have more of what you usually would, just stick with above-ground veggies and (good quality) meat/fish/poultry, eggs, full fat greek yoghurt with some berries, pecan nuts, walnuts, that sort of thing, while not adding in starches. No need to go hungry.

Reactions: EllieM