On insulin

paul a carr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
my current job .sports .
hi all since last year ive been on insulin because all other meds ant working im still on metformin .ive gone from 18 stone to now 22 stone im not eating a lot .has any one else had the same problem and what can be done .ive told my doctor that ill be wearing bed sheets before long . the doctor told me insulin can cause weight gain.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are you not eating a lot of? A lot of us follow the Low Carb High Fat diet.. mainly because for us it works.
Fat makes you feel fuller and doesn't spike your blood glucose. Carbs make you hungry and do spike your blood glucose.

paul a carr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
my current job .sports .
ive cut out on some meals didnt eat brecfast this morning so i wouldnt have to injected.im getting pritty fed up with diabetes just latey

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your GP is in a sense wrong. Insulin does not itself cause weight gain but it enables the body to use the carbs you eat. I can only guess that you are having far too many carbs and have insulin resistance. Set yourself a daily carb limit of, say, 150gms or a lot less if you can. There are other injectables such as Victoza which can help T2s with a lot of excess weight; your GP should know that. Do follow a low-carb diet and if needed discuss things such as Victoza with the GP. BTW be prepared to reduce your insulin shots if you reduce the carbs - use the meter to guide you.

A

asparagusp

Alternatively you could have an underactive thyroid. Ask the doctor for tests.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Did they do the diagnostic tests on you again before they put you on insulin? It may be you're not producing much insulin. But then if you've gained 4 stone since being on insulin I would think it's a good idea to see your doc and get further tests done to check for other possible causes... especially if you're not eating much as you say. I wish you the best. :)