On low carb diet do I still need insulin.

Diligent500

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I dislike being diabetic and two heavy I am 80kg and want to get down to 50 kg very soon.
Hi to all,

Do I still need insulin if not eating any carbs I have lost well I was 88kg now down to 85.1
I've just got another meter as my other one not working kept saying error.
So I've not tested for about a week as had no strips. Just done my b.s. n it said 27.6 for some reason don' know why been busy all day.

Diligent500.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
I would think until you start testing again it would be best to carry on with your meds .

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Diligent500

As an insulin user you shouldn't ever stop your medication without the knowledge of your health care team.
Please go back to testing your blood glucose regularly now that you have test strips.

If your reading of 27.6 was in UK units (mol/l) then that reading is too high and you should be contacting your doctor or diabetic nurse about advice on how to bring it down.
Alternatively ring the NHS helpline (if you are in the UK) and explain the situation to them.
Please follow their instructions.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How are you doing now, @Diligent500 ?

How are you feeling? And what are your blood glucose readings now? And what did the doc or 111 say if you contacted them?

Hope you are OK, because with blood glucose that high I am concerned for you.

Diligent500

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I dislike being diabetic and two heavy I am 80kg and want to get down to 50 kg very soon.
Hi to you all,

I've just done my b.s. it' s 18.6 all I've been doing all day for 2 days in constantly cleaning how can it be high my silly body if it' not any lower in morning
Will call in @t docs will just have to have my insulin now thn.

Diligent500

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As well as the above good advice from other members-If your readings fail to come down to an acceptable level despite low carbing then it might be worth chatting to the doc about the possibility of late onset type 1 (LADA) as misdiagnosis is more common than you may think.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to hear from you!
And good decision to speak to your doc or nurse. :D

How long have you been low carbing?
The reason I ask is because sometimes when insulin using type 2 diabetics switch to low carbing they can reduce their insulin needs. But it doesn’t always happen, and it needs to be done carefully and slowly so that your blood glucose stays within safe limits all the time.

We’ve definitely had members who have posted to say they have reduced their meds dramatically (I am thinking of @Chook in particular here). But it takes time.

So please take it slowly, and keep checking that blood glucose!:)

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
Good to hear from you!
And good decision to speak to your doc or nurse. :D

How long have you been low carbing?
The reason I ask is because sometimes when insulin using type 2 diabetics switch to low carbing they can reduce their insulin needs. But it doesn’t always happen, and it needs to be done carefully and slowly so that your blood glucose stays within safe limits all the time.

We’ve definitely had members who have posted to say they have reduced their meds dramatically (I am thinking of @Chook in particular here). But it takes time.

So please take it slowly, and keep checking that blood glucose!:)
I have lost 2 stone in 2 months on lchf and have reduced my insulin from 60 units twice a day to 10 units twice a day and am getting bs readings of around 5. I eat breakfast and dinner but miss lunch as my appetite is greatly diminished. I spoke to the dn at my surgery who was horrified that I was doing low carb but luckily the other dn was a convert. She was very supportive and even more so when my hba1c came back at 37! I suggest that you talk to either your GP or dn to get some proper advice.

Reactions: Brunneria and rom35