1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

On the go….

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Finncity, Oct 31, 2021.

1. Finncity

Finncity · Member

I am going on a trip this week and wondered what everyone else takes as food for the journey, my flight is at 6.00am so wont have time for breakfast.

My plan was an apple and some nuts but maybe you guys have some great ideas, has to be very portable.

2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Cheese instead of apple. Maybe olives. Depending where you are going, eat before you land.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Depends how long the flight is for me. I often do a little packed lunch, cheese, maybe some low carb crackers, slices of meat, that sort of thing. Be careful about the nuts though and check the airline allows them.

4. Finncity

Finncity · Member

Its a short flight only norway to Uk via amsterdam.

I will go with the cheese option just in case, will be yummy anyway. Good idea! Thanks

5. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I like to take Peperami as an emergency snack as they don't need refrigeration. Food on flights could be a problem now the UK is not in the EU but I guess if you have eaten it before you arrive it's ok.

6. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have not flown for a couple of years, but I have caught the first long distance train out of Bundaberg to Brisbane which left at 05:30 am for the four and half hour trip.

I used to cook some bacon and egg up the night before, and then heat it up in the microwave in the morning and make a sandwich to eat with my cup of coffee. Then off to the rail station by 5:00 to book in, no food available on the station.

Breakfast orders are served after an hour if you wanted a feed and something to drink, you ordered this when they check your tickets on the train. There is also a refreshment bar where you can get snacks and drinks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek I reversed my Type 2 · Expert

If there's something you should be able to find during a layover in Amsterdam, it's excellent cheeses, so you might not even have to bring your own. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Finncity

Finncity · Member

True !

9. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am not sure that helps someone going by air from Norway to the UK.

10. Tannith

Tannith · BANNED

I've heard you aren't allowed to open packets of nuts on some airlines, in case there are people on board with nut allergies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I thought it was clear enough to see how you can get breakfast in before you got on a shortish haul flight.

The last I flew from here Bundaberg to a regional area in West Australia, which consisted of a 50 minute flight to Brisbane 6 hour flight from Brisbane to Perth, and the 60 minute flight to the destination.

I managed to have breakfast before I left in a similar fashion to my train trips. so it's doable.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook