on the verge of handing my pump back :(

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yes i have better controll of my sugars, but i just don't feel confident enough in my pump, the reps just keep sending me new ones instead of fixing or telling me there's a problem with them.

******* insight pump :mad:

sorry little rant :D

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
what does your DSN have to say about it.?

she will have a fair few peeps on pumps in the clinic and will know whether it is just you having issues or others having problems.

perhaps have a chat with her tomorrow and let her know how you are feeling

it must be frustrating -- but hang in there !!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yes i have better controll of my sugars, but i just don't feel confident enough in my pump, the reps just keep sending me new ones instead of fixing or telling me there's a problem with them.

****ing insight pump :mad:

sorry little rant :D

Can you request it's swapped for a Combo?

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can you request it's swapped for a Combo?
i don't even want a roche pump anymore :mad:

what does your DSN have to say about it.?

she will have a fair few peeps on pumps in the clinic and will know whether it is just you having issues or others having problems.

perhaps have a chat with her tomorrow and let her know how you are feeling

it must be frustrating -- but hang in there !!

i don't see them till the 17th with the roche rep :( but its so frustrating i just cbf to set this new pump up as it's gonna be the same its the battery issues and the error codes and slowness :(

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Then speak to your DSN before your appointment and let them know how frustrated you are with your model of pump.

I had an Insight, hated it, spoke to my DSN and explained why it wasn't suitable, and then I got a different pump model - ie not an Insight.

I've been pumping for 12 years and would never want to go back to MDI, but that one pump drove me mad. I've had two other pump models and they've both been fine.

If you don't like pumping then go back to injections, but do be sure it's the pumping you don't like rather than the pump. If the Insight had been my first experience of pumping,,I'd have been very down too.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
ok worst case scenario -- can you revert to MDI injections until your appt with rep

you know what you are doing with MDI and you don't have to pi$S about with a pump you have lost confidence in

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Then speak to your DSN before your appointment and let them know how frustrated you are with your model of pump.

I had an Insight, hated it, spoke to my DSN and explained why it wasn't suitable, and then I got a different pump model - ie not an Insight.

I've been pumping for 12 years and would never want to go back to MDI, but that one pump drove me mad. I've had two other pump models and they've both been fine.

If you don't like pumping then go back to injections, but do be sure it's the pumping you don't like rather than the pump. If the Insight had been my first experience of pumping,,I'd have been very down too.
i love the pump i love how its bringing my sugars down and giving me more relaxed and less panic attacks when out and about, im just frustrated with it :(

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ok worst case scenario -- can you revert to MDI injections until your appt with rep

you know what you are doing with MDI and you don't have to pi$S about with a pump you have lost confidence in
i really don't like mdi tbh i love the pump but if i have to swap back because they wont change my pump then i may have too :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
i love the pump i love how its bringing my sugars down and giving me more relaxed and less panic attacks when out and about, im just frustrated with it :(

As both himtoo & azure have said already, contact your pump DSN in the morning and make them aware of the issues you are having, generally pump clinics give patients the choice of 3 pumps so if your unhappy with the Insight then they should offer you an alternative.

Reactions: 3 people

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As both himtoo & azure have said already, contact your pump DSN in the morning and make them aware of the issues you are having, generally pump clinics give patients the choice of 3 pumps so if your unhappy with the Insight then they should offer you an alternative.
yeh but as the funding is set up for the insight i highly doubt they would change it :'( but i'll ring them in the morning and see what they say xD

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yeh but as the funding is set up for the insight i highly doubt they would change it :'( but i'll ring them in the morning and see what they say xD

It'll depend on your hospital but my funding was changed to a different pump from a different company, so,it is possible.

Reactions: 2 people

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It'll depend on your hospital but my funding was changed to a different pump from a different company, so,it is possible.
hopefully they will if not ill just change hospital >.<

Rusty650

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I appreciate your frustration with the Roche Insight pump. E-57 errors,slow response from handset and poor battery life i had this all the time from receiving this pump back in July 2015. But my final straw was I had to return back to MDI after four and half years pumping (Combo & Insight) due to the safety recall of the steel cannulas. I was offered the Animas Vibe last week but the bolus delivery speed was too high for me due to my lipohypertrophy and my poor absorption rate. I need a pump with a delivery speed of 0.15u/sec which actually the Insight pump does have and less, and did work very well for me without any problems. So my DSN is trying to obtain a loan Medtronic 640g, which I am told could take several weeks at the present moment. Hence no other option but to return to MDI which is highly frustrating to say the least. I think it very much depends on your hospital team and if you can put up a good case to have your pump changed. In my experience Roche's standard response will be to only offer you a replacement Combo pump and they will not refund the cost of the pump back to the local hospital trust. So unless the existing pump can be transferred to another person who wants a Roche Insight pump....then it's going to be difficult to swap I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I appreciate your frustration with the Roche Insight pump. E-57 errors,slow response from handset and poor battery life i had this all the time from receiving this pump back in July 2015. But my final straw was I had to return back to MDI after four and half years pumping (Combo & Insight) due to the safety recall of the steel cannulas. I was offered the Animas Vibe last week but the bolus delivery speed was too high for me due to my lipohypertrophy and my poor absorption rate. I need a pump with a delivery speed of 0.15u/sec which actually the Insight pump does have and less, and did work very well for me without any problems. So my DSN is trying to obtain a loan Medtronic 640g, which I am told could take several weeks at the present moment. Hence no other option but to return to MDI which is highly frustrating to say the least. I think it very much depends on your hospital team and if you can put up a good case to have your pump changed. In my experience Roche's standard response will be to only offer you a replacement Combo pump and they will not refund the cost of the pump back to the local hospital trust. So unless the existing pump can be transferred to another person who wants a Roche Insight pump....then it's going to be difficult to swap I guess.
yeh they said they won't change it :( so stuck with it for 4 years =.=

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
yeh they said they won't change it :( so stuck with it for 4 years =.=
If the pump is not fit for purpose then tell roche so and ask for the combo instead. Also yellow card the pump.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was offered the Animas Vibe last week but the bolus delivery speed was too high for me due to my lipohypertrophy and my poor absorption rate

Does it not help by setting the speed of delivery to the slowest speed and also doing it over a15min extended bolus? What happens also if you use a different length of cannula or even an angled set? I've no idea hence why I am asking.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with @CarbsRok on the fitness for purpose thing. If the pump is not working, it's Roche's problem (well, I know it's effectively your problem, but what I mean is that it's their issue to sort it out). If you were a retail customer of, say, a car which was faulty, you would be entitled to reject the car, or to accept for them to repair it so that it is fit for purpose. Roche are responsible for this issue, so they need to fix the situation.

Rusty650

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does it not help by setting the speed of delivery to the slowest speed and also doing it over a15min extended bolus? What happens also if you use a different length of cannula or even an angled set? I've no idea hence why I am asking.

On the Animas Vibe the slowest speed of bolus delivery is rated at 0.2u/sec to 0.4u/sec. So just like the Combo which is rated at 0.2u/sec using a 15min extended bolus or multi wave option this still caused cannula leaks for me as my lipohypertrophy is so bad unfortunately. However on the Insight there are four speeds of delivery so being able to use the moderate speed 0.15u/sec or even better the slow speed of 0.1u/sec worked fine for me with no problems. I cant use a longer cannula as I'm just too skinny and found even an 8mm steel cannula really uncomfortable. The consultant wants to try a Roche DiaPort but these have not been very successful as you do get a lot of blockages internally with it.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Rusty650 is there a reason why you can not use the Teflon cannulas? If there isn't have you tried an angled set? I asked because I find better absorption with angled sets.