One for the science of fasting geeks :-)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another interview by Rhonda Patrick with Valter Longo:

Dr. Valter Longo on Resetting Autoimmunity and Rejuvenating Systems with Prolonged Fasting & the FMD:

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Many thanks for that @Indy51. Just read the Keto fasting mimicking diet piece.

I thought it could be helpful too, for anyone considering a Keto VLCD treatment. (I am considering this, so very helpful.)

Some thoughts on: "...actually starving, restricting calories for weeks/months/years at a time, or doing a no-food water fast. These can lead to metabolic damage and are especially bad for people with underlying health conditions. But like we’ve said above, fast mimicking gives you all the benefits without these side effects. "

I guess severe insulin resistance and blood glucose dysregulation counts as an underlying health condition? :).

As someone who has done all those things bar the actually starving (thank goodness!), I found that initial cautionary tale to be a bit OTT. I have had high levels of hunger/hangriness during periods of not eating or low cal eating, and as you know Indy, I have been expressing my thoughts and feelings about those things for some years now :D. (Eating in a restricted window of time has become a piece of p*** after all these years. No food fasting a lot easier, but longer fasts still challenging, but worth it for me to have festive HC food with family a few times a year. Recently upped to four times with a mid winter solstice feast with trifle and sugared pumpkin pie! As in 3-4-5 day no food fasts following such family feasts.)

But metabolic damage? It sounds so..... heavy! I wonder if it is that American thing of overkill in the warnings and call for medical support of fasting due to their sue-ing system? (I have to have a giggle when thinking of asking my GP, wonderful but conventional, to supervise me doing no food fasts. I think she likes to be in 'don't tell, no PLEASE don't tell!' category.) (She orders the blood lipid tests for me, but I do the reading and analysing of them.)

It might be too, that if living with insulin resistance and BG dysregulation the idea that one can live with quite considerable metabolic damage, AND still do fasting regimes successfully, isn't too strange?

By successful IFing and no-food fasting, I mean giving the pancreas a break from time to time, lowering one's overall insulin secretion levels periodically, witness something akin to healthy fasting blood glucose readings (good for the shot of optimism!) - that kind of thing.

Anyway, thought I would just do some musings on fasting.... (I'm doing a no-food fast right now, a little delayed post the winter-solstice feast.) (and yes, already found a good keto pumpkin pie recipe for post fast! That will use up the leftover pumpkin puree. That won't hit me where it BG-IR hurts! :).)